The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 19, 2007, 09:42 AM   #1
willsjeep

From Trash to Treasure

One slimeballs trash turned into my treasure around 8 years ago.
A part chow, part something else puppy decided to climb into the cab of my ranger while I was throwing trash away at the county cans. The rest of her littermates and her ma would not come near, but she jumped in the cab while my back was turned. SHe started in on my lunch leftovers from work and I could not bear to throw her back out.
She came home with me and stayed by my side since then. She was always happy to see me or the family come out the door, she was never mad when we left for a day or three.
I left for work yesterday evening and got my usual by wag and bark, but when I returned this morning there was no sound or movement.
I checked and found her laying in her house passed away
Rest In Peace Josey, You will be missed sorely.
(I know it isnt gun related, so feel free to lock mods, I just had to say goodbye. I am sure that at least some of you fine folks understand my feelings)
It is now time for a meal, shower and bed.
Yall have a good day.
Will
Old July 19, 2007, 10:25 AM   #2
armoredman

My sympathies, sir. I do know exactly what you speak of. My Sam had to be put down two months ago for cancer. He's the one on the left.
People who don't have companion animals will never know the love and joy they bring.

Old July 19, 2007, 10:53 AM   #3
olds442man

Sorry for your loss. Me ex and I lost a dog to parvo when it was still a puppy. It hurt like the dickens. Then just recently my new wife and I had a Cocker Spaniel like Armoredman's on the right, same color and all. It turns out her son is allergic to dogs and we had to give her up. The house feels so empty without her.
Old July 19, 2007, 12:07 PM   #4
kickshot85

I'm very sorry for your loss. I'm sure that those 8 years were wonderful with her.
Old July 19, 2007, 12:22 PM   #5
dbgun

My sympathies, as well. We love our Dalmatian, Barbie (My daughter named her). The day before we started to give all her litter mates away, she was the only one that didn't cry when I gave them a bath. Took her out dove hunting once. I fired 3 shots from my 11-87 and she never flinched. Didn't retrieved the bird ethier, but she was only there, to keep me company.
Old July 19, 2007, 02:10 PM   #6
Dirty_Harry

I have an 11 year old Rat Terrier that I love to death and I can see that day coming all the sooner. I probably will cry my eyes out too. I am sorry for your loss man.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 19, 2007, 02:50 PM   #7
tomh1426

Sorry to hear that
My wife came with a black lab , shes 13 and tired
She dosent seem to be in pain but I know the day is coming soon
Old July 19, 2007, 03:43 PM   #8
shortround60

You have my deepest sympathies

We recently lost our American Bulldog. He was like our third child and man did that hurt. It will get better, but damned it's miserable at times.
Old July 19, 2007, 04:27 PM   #9
Mainah

I'm sorry, I had to bury two dogs last year. I know how it feels.
Old July 20, 2007, 08:58 PM   #10
Fat White Boy

My Sympathies. I had to put down my 16 year old English Cocker last December. I thought I was ready but I still cried...We now have a 7 month old West Highland Terrier. He won't replace the old guy but he is really a hoot to watch...
Old July 21, 2007, 01:04 AM   #11
FirstFreedom

Sorry to hear that. Yeah, it's tough losing our man's best friend buddies - they just don't live long enough. I'm usually pretty torn up for 2-3 days, then somber for another week or so. Then it mostly subsides and you have the good memories. Easier than losing a human family member, for me, but still tough. I've buried 2 dogs in 3 years. Still have 3 right now. How long did you have your l'il buddy?
Old July 21, 2007, 08:54 AM   #12
willsjeep

Thanks for all the thoughts folks, I really appreciate them. There were 8+ great years of companionship. I would have posted sooner but working a 12-14 hour night shift the week after a 3 week shutdown is extremely trying at times.
There will probably be other dogs in the future but never to replace her.
Will
Old July 21, 2007, 10:00 AM   #13
armoredman

Just to keep this firearm related, here is an ad pic I did for CZ with my remaining puppy, Snickers.

Remember, millions of loving animals languish in humane societies and pounds across the country. All of my animals are rescued, (1 dog, 4 cats so far), and I will get more, when I get more room!
Old July 21, 2007, 10:53 AM   #14
Manedwolf

Here's the best dog I ever had, for over ten years of happy times. Found wandering the streets of Miami. He came up to me and stuck to me, decided I owned him now, I guess. Immediately obeyed sit, down, heel, and followed without a leash.
Absolutely gorgeous coat, rust gold with a shepherd saddle and black eye-diamonds.

Polite, never an accident in the house, ever, and incredibly smart and well-behaved dog. You could leave a hamburger sitting on a coffeetable, come back, and he'd only be watching it closely, never, ever touch it. I think he was a shepherd-lab mix, since he had a shepherd bark and looked like one when his ears were up (I said he was an undercover police dog), but would sometimes point at ducks.
Old July 21, 2007, 01:14 PM   #15
Silvanus

Sorry for your loss. It's never easy if your dog passes away.

I love my dog, I'm sure he's got the devil in him, but I like him anyway
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hond.jpg (99.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Hond2.jpg (78.5 KB, 20 views)
Old July 21, 2007, 02:26 PM   #16
jimcorbin

Sorry

Sorry to hear about the loss of your companion. Hang in there.
Old July 21, 2007, 05:11 PM   #17
hps1

Sorry for your loss.

My wife and I "inherited" our son's year old chow when he (the son) went off to college. As you probably know, chows are pretty much a one master dog. After a short while, Tsing seemed to be my dog, but he would have died to protect the wife.

He developed diabetes at age 13 and the wife administered insulin daily. He had to be put down @ 14. A very faithful breed and this one loved kids. We still miss him.

Regards,
hps
Old July 21, 2007, 08:57 PM   #18
Jseime

I had one dog from the time I could remember until I was eleven. Buddy was a German Shepherd Border Collie cross and likely the best dog ever to exist. He managed to keep me alive in my younger years and it was a heck of a rough time to let him go. I know what your talking about.
Old July 21, 2007, 09:01 PM   #19
clem

I've found out that when you lose a pet, replace them. You will never forget them but you'll have a new friend to help with the pain of loss.
Old July 21, 2007, 10:40 PM   #20
willsjeep

Clem,
Funny you should mention that. When I woke up today my wife surprised me with a new pet for the "kids". Now resting at my feet is a two month old Australian Shepherd pup.
No name yet, although the kids have come up with several choices. We will see. She seems to know whats up, she has spent most of the time around my feet.

Josey

To be named ....
Old July 22, 2007, 12:34 AM   #21
clem

Willsjeep,
Nice looking puppy. The reason I mentioned "get another", is that I just went through the same thing with my old cat "Smokey". At 16 years she had major kidney failure and there was nothing that could be done.
I now have two 1-2 year olds running around the house keeping me busy and intertained. The girls came from a pet rescue group and are up to date on all their shots and they are fixed. So no surprises, ha!
They should out last me.
Old August 8, 2007, 08:43 PM   #22
KEN K

Sorry for your loss I was adopted by a beagle puppy at the county dumpster a few years ago so I know how imposable it is to not take em home. Turns out this beagle loves to track deer after I shoot them, great for the late shots when light is stating to fade, no training involved, she's a nateral. Her name is De De (dumpster dog). At least you had those 8 great years. Hang tuff.

PS I'd like to catch those jerks that throw puppies out at the dumpsters so I could tell them what low life's they are just before I blow the whistle on them for animal cruelty

Last edited by KEN K; August 8, 2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: PS
Old August 8, 2007, 08:54 PM   #23
KEN K

Got a black lab for my wife (What a trade)
Old August 8, 2007, 09:28 PM   #24
Bigfatts

One of the best friends I've ever had is my 3 year old Boxer Embyr. She's as much a member of the family as I am. She's the most loving creature I've ever seen and would take on a rabid Wolverine to protect us. I have never lost a dog but I did lose a parrot that hurt like losing a child.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ictures004.jpg

I hope your new pup is as good as the last. Australian Shepherds are good dogs.
Old August 8, 2007, 10:30 PM   #25
Hedley

You guys want to see some "trash" to "treasure"? This is Lucy. She showed up as we were moving into our new country home. She was pretty beat up as you can see in the pic. Tar stuck to her fur, open wounds, flea bitten, you name it. My fiance fell in love, and after a bath and a trip to the vet, she became an indoor dog. It only took two nights for me to give in to her comming inside. That was two months ago, and all her hair has grown back since. She's also put on 10 pounds or so. She's potty trained, loves to swim, good with our cat and other small dog, and shows a strong interest in fetching. We believe she's a lab/shar-pei mix. She's got the lab body, webbed feet, etc., mixed with the shar pei's goofy looks. Maybe she'll be my first bird-dog.

First day we took her in:

Tonight(guarding the stairwell):

At least she looks the part: