The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 16, 2024, 11:44 AM   #26
tangolima

To be frank, I think you may need a new smith.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old March 16, 2024, 12:04 PM   #27
DaleA

Thanks for telling us you'll be back with more information. I (and I think a lot of others) lurk and appreciate being told the rest of the story.

The thing about leaving magazines loaded has been discussed A LOT with several different opinions that all seem (to me) to be credible. For myself I bring no actual expertise to the discussion so I just picked the opinion I liked...I'll do me and you can do you.

Here's a link to one of the discussions:
https://thefiringline.com/forums//sh...d.php?t=252693

If you want more Google is your friend.
thefiringline.com: leaving magazines loaded
will give you more results.
Old March 16, 2024, 12:33 PM   #28
JimCunn

"explain why the last cartridge locks up and won't chamber."

That sounds like a magazine feed lip issue.
Old March 16, 2024, 07:05 PM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

The people who make springs will tell you that modern springs do not weaken from being left fully compressed. OVER COMPRESSED is a different story. Springs weaken (shorten and wear out) from compression cycles. Compressed, relaxed, compressed, over and over, over time. This is the natural service life of a coil spring.

I have personal experience with a .45ACP magazine that sat over 10 years fully loaded. Worked flawlessly when it was finally fired.

I have a couple of 9mm mags I loaded over 20 years ago, am doing a "test" with them, might fire one at 30years loaded to see how it works.

My Grandfather was most emphatic about NEVER leaving his Ithaca shotgun cocked, and, NEVER snapping it. That gun he bought in 1909, and had a way to lower the hammers without snapping them. I always treat that gun the way Papa taught me.

100+ years ago, it was fairly common for springs to take a set, if left compressed. ITs been UNCOMMON for that to happen for more than a half century, and these days, a spring that takes a set is considered defective.

Make no mistake, springs will wear out, but they don't (or shouldn't) weaken from just sitting, compressed, or relaxed.
Old March 16, 2024, 08:11 PM   #30
Jim Watson

On the other hand, you will hear, even from manufacturers, that one should leave a new magazine loaded for a week to squash its spring into normal operating range. Or to pump it up and down with a stick, although that is more a case of Internet Expertise.
Old March 16, 2024, 10:55 PM   #31
cdoc42

Tangolima, I appreciate and look forward to the reason for your opinion. Please provide details.
Old March 17, 2024, 12:24 AM   #32
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoc42 View Post
Tangolima, I appreciate and look forward to the reason for your opinion. Please provide details.
Sorry I should have elaborated. I was in a hurry.

May he had, your smith didn't seem to ask the key information from you. If I were him, I would ask for the exact rounds that you had problem with your pistol. Also the info you gave you, didn't sound relevant, or even questionably correct.

Just my gut feeling based on your descriptions.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by tangolima; March 17, 2024 at 12:30 AM.
Old March 17, 2024, 11:30 AM   #33
cdoc42

tangolima, thanks for your response. I did, in fact, bring along and left with him, the cartridges that jammed and those that failed to fire, revealing the misplaced primer strikes, as well as 40 or so of my handloads. I also left the 10 dummy rounds I made with fired and new brass. I didn't report all the elements of our discussion because, as I said, much of what was said on this thread by all the participants was repeated by him. I just wanted to bring up what I thought was controversial.