The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 25, 2024, 03:19 PM   #1
1096369fred

Px4 .40 with a Cougar 9mm slide?

Hey Guys!

I just bought a CX4 .40 Police trade in carbine for under $500… so of course I’m considering grabbing a PX4 Ex-cop gun, which sells for well under $400 on G.B. To keep it company!

Just because I am one of “those”, guys…. Does anyone know if a 9mm Cougar slide, will work on the .40 Storm lower? I do know that to swap calibers, on this platform a slide change is required on these guns.

I do current own a Cougar in 9mm…. So if I was to buy the Storm .40…. I could try the experiment of the Cougar slide, without going out of pocket…. I have also seen completes 9mm Cougar “parts kits” less the lower for under $200.

I know this is a bit of a schizophrenic of a idea…. But while I like shooting .40…. These days I tend to shoot 9mm more… and the ability to swap calibers appeals to me!

Thanks!
Fred

Last edited by 1096369fred; February 25, 2024 at 03:24 PM.
Old February 27, 2024, 02:21 PM   #2
Skarekrow88

I too am one of “those guys” but I highly doubt what you’re wanting to do will work. I have, however, mated a Beretta Cougar slide to a Stoeger Cougar frame and it works flawlessly. I own a PX4 Storm Compact Carry and I just don’t see any way a Cougar slide would work on a PX4 Storm frame. The guns are just too different. I will attempt to put my Cougar slide on my PX4 frame when I get home and report to you. I’m willing to bet it doesn’t work though.
Old March 3, 2024, 04:53 PM   #3
Skarekrow88

So I attempted putting my 9mm Beretta Cougar slide on my PX4 Storm frame and it was a no-go. It went on the first set of slide rails but wouldn’t go over the second (rear) set of slide rails. Things just didn’t line up. Conversely I attempted to put my PX4 Storm slide on my Cougar frame and it wouldn’t go on at all. The “locking block” of the Cougar slide is too large to fit into the frame. My PX4 Storm is a 9mm but if I am not mistaken the 9mm and .40 are identical as the Storm was designed around the .40S&W.