The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 18, 2014, 12:46 AM   #1
Miniking67

Burris Fastfire III or Redfield Accelerator?

Looking to put a Reflex style sight on my G23. Down to the Burris FastFire III or the Redfield Accelerator. Which one do all of you prefer? Thanks in advance.
Old December 18, 2014, 08:44 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

I haven't owned or used the Redfield. However, I have used several Burris FastFire3s on guns ranging from a 45-70 rifle to a 44mag handgun and found them to be of excellent quality and durability. If you know how to check for parallax you will find none on the Burris. On my Win 1886 45-70 I am able to get five shot groups consistently under 1.5" at my 114yd range (at camp, front porch rail to firing line....odd distance of 114yds). The Burris has all it's innards sealed in epoxy so there is no chance of anything coming loose and causing elect. failures. I've owned over twenty different red dots over the last twenty-five years and I'm impressed with the BurrisFF3 to say the least.
Old December 18, 2014, 09:07 AM   #3
Microgunner

I own two FastFires. I think the dots are too small for rapid target acquisition. Not suitable to a CQC piece like the G23.
I used instead on my M&P 9 a Trijicon RMR with a 9moa amber dot. Easy to find in a hurry.
I'd suggest a MRDS with as big a dot as you can find.
Old December 18, 2014, 10:44 AM   #4
NoSecondBest

Quote:
I own two FastFires. I think the dots are too small for rapid target acquisition. Not suitable to a CQC piece like the G23.
I used instead on my M&P 9 a Trijicon RMR with a 9moa amber dot. Easy to find in a hurry.
I'd suggest a MRDS with as big a dot as you can find.
You should learn a little more about them. They come in two different dot sizes. One small, and one large. Take your pick. Fast target acquisition? Go to a large match where some very good, or top shooters, are competing. You'll find most use a smaller dot not a bigger dot. I shot three gun matches for many years and not many shooters could do better than me and I used either a three or four minute dot on all my guns. Most deer hunters NEVER shoot like a steel plate shooter at an animal. It would be ridiculous to even try. Big dots and group shooting/hunting are not compatible.
Old December 18, 2014, 11:17 AM   #5
Miniking67

Are the dimensions on these pretty much the same? Will they all fit the same dovetail mounting system?
Old December 18, 2014, 12:05 PM   #6
NoSecondBest

Yes, they are the same. Nearly every red dot tube or reflex sight will fit a Weaver or Pictinney mount with no problems. The only difference between the two Burris FastFire3s is the size of the dot. The units are exactly the same. Some of the more exotic combat type sights require a different type of mount to make them adaptable to a combat rifle.
Old December 18, 2014, 12:38 PM   #7
Miniking67

Still looking for a mounting kit that will fit where the rear sight resides. Any Ideas?
Old December 18, 2014, 12:50 PM   #8
40CalGuy

this is the mount for the FF3 for Glocks

http://www.amazon.com/Burris-Fastfir.../dp/B000UV63E6