The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 13, 2002, 01:19 PM   #1
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Remington 11-87 Upland Special---Opinions or Experience??

I've had a Ruger Red Label---a SKB O/U---and a Benelli Montrofeltro and they always sat in the closet---because I was always afraid I would beat up my high-dollar shotgun.

I couldn't justify having that much money wrapped up in something I wasn't using---so they are gone now.

Now I have a collection of competent and cheap shotguns---a Mossberg 500 Turkey from Wally's-----a Charles Daly semi-auto 20 ga from Wally's -----and a Baikal 12 ga SxS.

I saw a 12 ga 11-87 Upland Sp last week in the shop and I'm looking to get a little more quality in my collection. It was priced right and felt like a dream. I'm really getting some serious wood for this one.

When Uncle Sam sees fit to give me back my money this year---I'm thinking about using it as a down payment on the 11-87.
The check from the state already went for a Zeiss scope.

Any experience or opinions on these????

Thanks
-------Metallica
Old February 14, 2002, 04:46 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Experience, no. Opinions, yes...

One subguage fan I know loves the US 1100, it's his go to gun for SC, quail, and grouse/woodcock.

The straight grip takes a little getting used to, but I like it enough that I've toyed with the idea of doing one on Frankenstein.

HTH...
Old February 15, 2002, 01:11 PM   #3
Kingcreek

I've got a 20g 11-87 Upland. I thought it might be just the thing for my wife but she couldn't seem to get used to the straight stock (so she went back to her micro-lightning).
I like it. It needs a little more front-hand control vs a standard SG stock but with a little use it handles well. I find myself making a conciuos effort to pull it in to my shoulder and control the cant with the front/left hand. First time out with mine I shot 2 rounds of skeet and did quite well. I have shot a couple pheasants with 3" 20g shells but this gun would really shine on quail. 23" barrel and light wt. = fast handling. Mine wears some real nice satin walnut.
If you like the straight grip, its great. the 12 would be a nice pheasant popper esp with those fiocci nickel plated #5s.