The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 9, 2011, 11:01 AM   #1
kaylorinhi

Cardboard wads?

Hey guys, My dad asked me an interesting question. Is there any cardboard wadded 20 shot shells? I figured I would set a trot line before heading out to hunt the INTERNET! Much appreciated!

Mike

My Pops dog, a 15 yo chow mix, likes to eat the plastic wads everytime my dad drops a squirrel in his citrus orchard. He is just looking for more stomach/intestine friendly factory loaded shells for a dog that knows no commands and is deaf anyway!

Last edited by kaylorinhi; July 9, 2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: More info
Old July 9, 2011, 11:51 AM   #2
Rifleman1776

What does fishing with a trot line have to do with anything firearms related?
As for the 15 year old dog, why worry about it? The dog is going to die soon anywhat. Let him chew plastic or don't take him hunting.
Old July 9, 2011, 12:03 PM   #3
oneounceload

There are some choices but they will be more expensive

http://www.classicshooting.com/20-ga...ammunition.htm

While those are extreme, they are an example of what you want to find
Old July 9, 2011, 12:31 PM   #4
lamarw

Another approach is to obtain the all brass Magtech shell casings and load your own. I am currently exploring this new personal arena. I loaded a few shells last night. I am not going to reload more until after I have test fired my test rounds. Midway USA has the brass, and the wadds. I was advised to use the 16 gauge wads for the 20 gauge brass, and they fit perfectly. The brass shells use large pistol primers. You can see a post of mine of the Reloading section of the Forum. It is an adventure; although other do it all the time especially black powder guys.
Old July 9, 2011, 01:12 PM   #5
zippy13

Are you asking if there are any factory loads with paper wadding (instead of the typical plastic), or are you wanting reloading supplies?
Old July 9, 2011, 05:01 PM   #6
kaylorinhi

I am looking for Factory loaded ammo. He does not reload.

@Rifleman1776, it was a figure speech, becuase "people" on here keep telling other people to go search the internet, so I stated that I was searching the internet and asking at the same time!
Old July 9, 2011, 06:05 PM   #7
oneounceload

As I pointed out, what you are looking for are shells with fibers wads. Whether they have cardboard top with a roll crimp or the standard star crimp, it seems you are wanting to avoid plastic wads
Old July 9, 2011, 06:17 PM   #8
zippy13

I've not seen a factory shotshell without a plastic wad for many years. Their ease of reloading and superior performance have eclipsed the card and fiber wads into virtual obscurity.

There may be some paper wadded shells made for environmental (chewing dog friendly) reasons. I'm not aware of any, but I haven't been looking for them. The last time I loaded with card and fiber wads was in the early 70s.

Ballistic Products, Inc. is the major supplier of extraordinary reloading components (and other items). They may be able to direct you to a supplier of paper wadded shotshells.
Old July 9, 2011, 06:43 PM   #9
oneounceload

Zippy, where I hear about them is from my English friends who can't use plastic wads for enviro reasons. A lot of hunters here, and certain clubs, etc, seem to be adopting the older retro standard to cut down on the "trash" left behind after shooting.

One nice thing about them, is they are gentle on older guns, so if someone is shooting grandpa's Parker from the 20's, the pressures are typically lower
Old July 10, 2011, 01:48 PM   #10
kaylorinhi

thank you so far

I have passed the H&H site along and will continue to pass others, I also recommended getting into Rollin his own as he is retired and needs a hobby and I can get cheap ammo from him!

Thank you guys for the insight!
Old July 10, 2011, 01:55 PM   #11
Maxem0815

If some one is interested in 20 or 12 gage carboard wads I have a bunch and would gladly give some away just pay shipping like the USPS it fits it ships box.
Mace
Old July 17, 2011, 05:22 PM   #12
Jack O'Conner

When I was a kid in the 1960's we hunted with thick paper hulls. Wad consisted of cardboard and paper flakes. At each shot, little pieces of paper floated around. We bought our shells at local hardware store. Shells were named Tru Test.

Plastic hulls and modern wads became popular in 1970's.

Jack
Old July 17, 2011, 06:57 PM   #13
pabuckslayer08

I have no answer to the OP but to Rifleman at the top you are a serious jack wagon for saying that. Why would you tell a guy his dogs going to die
Old July 17, 2011, 07:14 PM   #14
Hawg

That dog may have five or six good years left. Lamar if you roll crimp those Magtechs they wont last long. If you're using them in a repeater you will have to have a slight taper on the mouth to get them to feed. If you're using them in a break action you don't have to taper them at all just run a bead of Elmers glue around the edge of the overshot card.
Old July 18, 2011, 02:13 AM   #15
olddrum1

A couple of years ago Winchester was using a fiber or cardboard wad in their cheap Expert shells I believe. Not sure if they still do. Might cut one open. Has your Dad considered that the Chows poop might pattern better with the plastic wads?
Old July 18, 2011, 05:35 AM   #16
pabuckslayer08

Winchester is plastic now for all their shells
Old July 18, 2011, 01:06 PM   #17
Hardcase

Classic Shooting sells Holland and Holland shells. They use fiber wads. You probably won't like the prices, though.

http://www.classicshooting.com
Old July 18, 2011, 01:21 PM   #18
oneounceload

BPI has Game Bore 20 gauge with fiber wads for about $16/box

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Gam...fo/G2025GHF28/
Old July 18, 2011, 02:09 PM   #19
TheKlawMan

If it is a 20 or 28 you might look at Polywad's wadless cartridges, but again they are @$15 a box. R U sure your dad wouldn't like to reload? Still, how much does he shoot? If he only uses a few boxes a year, get the high price spread.
Old July 18, 2011, 02:15 PM   #20
zippy13

Hardcase,
I checked out your linkā€¦ is a wearing a tie required when shooting H & H loads?
Old July 18, 2011, 07:35 PM   #21
B.L.E.

Quote:
is a wearing a tie required when shooting H & H loads?
Absolutely! And don't forget to wear an English driver's cap and a jacket or vest made of tweed or houndstooth.
We are gentlemen afterall.
Old July 18, 2011, 07:53 PM   #22
oneounceload

And you had better be wearing Breeks and a proper tartan while grouse hunting in Scotland

Tags
20 gauge , cardboard , shotguns , wadding , wads