The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 1, 2012, 03:27 PM   #26
45_auto

Quote:
I've watched afew videos about body armor being shot with different rounds, yes it will stop a 45acp / 10mm/44mag but that enegy is still transfured to the target which may break a after a 44mag in that area.
I believe it was Richard Davis of Second Chance who used to shoot himself in the chest point blank with a 44 mag, then turn around and shoot bowling pins. You can probably find the videos on you tube. I believe they also did one with a .308. Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIhyETXW1u0
Old December 1, 2012, 03:41 PM   #27
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
On that note, there's only case I know of where an armed citizen was killed by a bad guy who wasn't stopped due to body armor. And the bad guy was hit in the vest with a 45 acp.
If it's the same one I'm thinking of, (Wilson/Arroyo), reports at the time were that Wilson hit the bad guy (Arroyo) more than once. Arroyo was not disabled at all and killed Wilson while he was reloading. He was later killed by a police officer who was using a rifle.
Quote:
I believe it was Richard Davis of Second Chance who used to shoot himself in the chest point blank with a 44 mag, then turn around and shoot bowling pins.
While these videos are excellent proof that the impact of a bullet won't knock a person down, they aren't good evidence of the kind of injury produced by shooting a person who is wearing a bullet proof vest. Davis generally put some sort of additional padding under his vest when doing these demonstrations to avoid getting black & blue.
Old December 5, 2012, 02:48 PM   #28
jakemonroe

think i decided on a glock 19 thanks for all your input

Last edited by jakemonroe; December 6, 2012 at 09:38 AM.

Tags
active shooter , armor , college , concealed carry