The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 30, 2012, 02:48 PM   #1
capecodder16

Kimber Ultra CDP II or Ultra Raptor II in 45 ACP

Trying to decide between these two, need an ambi safety which both have & are in stock at LGS. CDP is $1100 & Raptor is $1025. Any help would be most appreciated!
Old September 30, 2012, 02:53 PM   #2
Red Dog

Before the hating starts get both.... only 1 choice...ultra
Old September 30, 2012, 03:10 PM   #3
orionengnr

Ultra CDP. Has the "de-horning/melt" treatment. I had a Pre-series II that I bought with a few hundred rounds through it. Sold it recently in a moment of stupidity.
Wife has an Ultra CDP II that shoots everything, including a bunch of my 200 grain SWC handloads.

I also have an Ultra Carry II that is dressed up as an Ultra CDP without the melt treatment. It has Cylinder&Slide hammer/sear/disconnect/thumb safety, 4# trigger, Cera-Koted frame, stainless ramp insert, Crimson Trace grips and TruGlo TFO sights. I bought this one before either of the others...I have way too much money into it to ever get it back, so I'm keeping it. It, too, shoots everything, and quite accurately, I might add.

I have read some Kimber hate (especially the newer ones) but between the wife and I we have owned eight so far, and each has been perfect.

If it were me advising you as a friend, I'd say look for a used Ultra CDP II for sale locally, meet the seller at the range, runs some rounds of FMJ and JHP through it.

Come to think of it, that is the same advice I would give you no matter what you were buying.
Old September 30, 2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Huevos

I'd go for the CDP. The melt treatment I can take or leave but prefer the traditional checkering on the front strap.
Old September 30, 2012, 03:45 PM   #5
capecodder16

Are the prices at $1025 & $1100 competitive?
Old September 30, 2012, 04:28 PM   #6
capecodder16

Should have added that at $1025, that's for the Raptor Ultra II in Stainless Steel.
Old September 30, 2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Stevie-Ray

I'd go with the UCDP. Mine is my EDC for over 8 years now. Love everything about it except the price. Mine was $950 back then and I thought it ridiculous. But it was the total package and there was nothing like it. $1100 now? Wow. But I guess that's not much in all those years.