The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Closed Thread

Old June 3, 2011, 01:42 PM   #1
Hardcase

RIP Marshall Dillon

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/432699...entertainment/

One of our favorite Western actors has passed - James Arness was 88 years old.
Old June 3, 2011, 04:01 PM   #2
hongrn

Hardcase,

Now people know how old we are. I know Festus died a while back, but is Ms. Kitty still alive?

Hong
Old June 3, 2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Tanker6

Yeah, Amanda Blake (a/k/a Miss Kitty) died in 1989.

RIP Marshall....you will be missed.
Old June 3, 2011, 04:43 PM   #4
thallub

In the earlier Gunsmoke episodes James Arness had a visible limp. He was wounded in the leg at Anzio, Italy in WWII.

Rest In Peace, James Arness.
Old June 3, 2011, 06:14 PM   #5
drftrman

R.I.P. Marshal Dillon!
Old June 3, 2011, 06:33 PM   #6
pohill

James Arness and John Wayne had the same birthday - May 26.
Louis L'Amour once said that Gunsmoke was one of the most realistic western shows on TV.
I still watch it.
Old June 3, 2011, 09:27 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

Somehow . . . things just seemed "a little better" with Marshall Dillon walking the streets . . . may he rest in peace . . . his pistol has been holstered for the last time . . . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 3, 2011, 11:52 PM   #8
Bill Akins

Did you fellas know that John Wayne was initially offered the role of Marshall Dillon on Gunsmoke but the Duke turned it down and suggested they get James Arness....which they did.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old June 4, 2011, 05:58 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

RIP Matt. I'll see you every afternoon at 4.
Old June 4, 2011, 06:57 AM   #10
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
James Arness and John Wayne had the same birthday - May 26.
The difference is that Arness was a real war hero and people just thought John Wayne was.
Old June 4, 2011, 08:51 AM   #11
pohill

What's that have to do with their birthdays?
Old June 4, 2011, 11:16 AM   #12
Double Naught Spy

You seemed to be trying to link two hero figures together via their birthdays, John Wayne not even being relevant to James Arness except for the b-day. So what does John Wayne having the same b-day have to do with Arness' death? Not a thing. I am not sure why you brought him up, but since you did, I simply pointed out a clear distinction between the two, that one was a genuine war hero and the other wasn't.
Old June 4, 2011, 01:26 PM   #13
hongrn

Did you guys also know that actor Peter Graves of Mission: Impossible was James Arness' younger brother? Wow, what a sucessful family.
Old June 4, 2011, 02:15 PM   #14
MLeake

DNS, did you miss the post where it said John Wayne got James Arness the role as Matt Dillon? (Note: that was true, Arness was a protege of Wayne, and expressed gratitude for the assistance and coaching he had received from Wayne.)
Old June 4, 2011, 03:24 PM   #15
sewerman

use to watch G.S. & the Marshall perched on my daddy's knee.

fond memories....the Marshall always was true to his calling, a gentlemen to the ladies & only ruff when needed......he was a great example for any child.

R.I.P. James Arness....i know you're surrounded by many a fan!

s.m.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!
Old June 4, 2011, 05:44 PM   #16
pohill

Quote:
So what does John Wayne having the same b-day have to do with Arness' death?
Just that they were friends and John Wayne turned down the role of Matt Dillon. Plain and simple.
Old June 4, 2011, 05:50 PM   #17
Hardcase

Quote:
I simply pointed out a clear distinction between the two, that one was a genuine war hero and the other wasn't.
For what it's worth, John Wayne never claimed to be a war hero. In fact, his wife Pilar wrote that not serving during the war was one of the biggest mistakes and disappointments of his life - and one of the reasons that his personal ethos took such a patriotic turn.

Just as James Arness was who he was, so was John Wayne. Both are dead now, both did good works and there's no reason to impugn either's character.
Old June 4, 2011, 09:37 PM   #18
armoredman

I can imagine Marshall Dillon stepping up to St Peter, "Sir, if you'd like to take a break, I'm here."
Old June 4, 2011, 10:47 PM   #19
Kevin Rohrer

If you check James Arness' filmography, he had roles in several of John Wayne's mid-career movies:

Big Jim McLain
Hondo
Island in the Sky
Sea Chase

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old June 5, 2011, 01:15 AM   #20
Bill Akins

And big Jim was the alien monster in the 1951 (I think it was '51) movie "The Thing". I keep remembering Chester (Dennis Weaver) repeatedly saying in "Gunsmoke" when Marshall Dillon called him....."I'm-a-comin Mr Dillion....I'm-a-comin"....as Chester with his bad leg shuffled along. And Festus always calling Marshall Dillon...."Matthew"....in that inimitable way that Festus (Ken Curtis) had of speaking. Ken didn't really speak that way, it was just for the role.

Actually Ken Curtis was a western star leading man in his own right in the late 1940's and early 1950's. Who would have thought that Festus (Ken Curtis) was at one time a clean cut, got the girl, handsome leading man western star....but he was. I have a large book of all the movie "serials" ever made and Ken Curtis is in it in a few movie serials as the clean cut leading man western star of the film from that era. But he will always be remembered for his mule, his colloquial way of speaking and his scruffy appearance as Matt Dillion's deputy on "Gunsmoke". Festus was pretty much the comedy relief replacement for the Chester (Dennis Weaver) character. He was to Matt Dillon kind of like Gabby Hayes was to Roy Rogers. Sidekick comedy relief. But Festus had a few serious episodes on Gunsmoke too so he wasn't exclusively just for comedy relief.

I can hear him now...."Weell Matheeew, it don't make no never mind....I found them thar owlhoots over yonder by tha stables" as he squinted one eye almost shut ala "evil eye" Jack Elam. Actually the characterization of Festus was created by Ken Curtis. The Gunsmoke writer's didn't create him that way. He started talking that way on the set one day and the director told him to keep doing it. And that's how we got Festus' endearing character on Gunsmoke.

Actually I saw the beginnings of the character of Festus when Ken Curtis talked and acted like that in the 1959 John Wayne/William Holden movie about the civil war called "The Horse Soldiers". He was also a friend of the Duke. I saw Ken Curtis using that accent and the beginnings of the same character he used on Gunsmoke as Festus. Look for Ken Curtis in the movie. He's the one who when he captured a Confederate drummer boy and asked the Duke what to do with him, the Duke told him to spank him. Curtis had quite a few lines in the movie too.
Guess y'all can tell I'm a western t.v. and movie fan.

There aren't a lot of our boyhood western star's left anymore. Just a few. Clint Walker (1950's Cheyenne Body) is still alive and looking pretty good at 75. Hugh Obrian (1950's Wyatt Earp) is still kicking, I forget his age. I'm sure there may be a few others left...but only a few. Most would be in their late '70's or even '80's, with a few even being older in their '90's. As we saw, James Arness was 88. Some of them didn't become 1950's/60's big t.v. western stars until they were in their 30's and even early 40's after having bit roles for years before getting their big break and becoming stars. They won't last forever. Ross Martin (Artimus Gordon from the Wild Wild West of the 1960's) is gone too. And the next ones to go will be the late 60's and early '70's western stars who are now in their middle to late '70's and some pushing towards their early 80's who are only a little younger than James Arness's WW2 generation. Clint Eastwood was born May 31, 1930 which makes him 81 years old. Only seven years younger than James Arness.
And although Eastwood was Rowdy Yates in the 1950's "Rawhide", he didn't really get his break and become a big star until his 1964 spaghetti western "A fist full of dollars" which spawned a host of other spaghetti westerns. By then...just as I said about others working a long time before their big breaks...he had been working in films a long time and Clint was 34 years old before he became a major star. At 81 how much longer does he have left? Makes us "boomers" feel old ourselves doesn't it?

As the previous generation of our boyhood western film stars pass on, it soberly reminds me that our post WW2 baby boomer generation will be the next to go.

"Happy Trails to you....until we meet again" to all of them.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; June 5, 2011 at 02:57 AM.
Old June 5, 2011, 01:25 AM   #21
buckfynn

Rest in Peace Matt Dillon AKA James Arness. Sad to see one of last remaining heroes from that era go.
Old June 5, 2011, 05:57 AM   #22
Mike Irwin
Staff

Not really on topic for this forum, everyone.

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread