The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 29, 2010, 09:22 PM   #1
mtshooter21

Want to replace a stock...

Hey guys, this is my first post on here. Been lurking for a while with an account but didn't have anything to post. I have a question about replacing a stock. The rifle in question is my Ruger M77 MkII chambered in .243. The stock on it is a really ugly and uncomfortable synthetic stock. Hard to describe it, but the rifle is from 2001 I believe. I'll post some pics later. So, back on topic, I want to replace it with a more comfortable one and one that could also possibly make it a little more accurate (free floating the barrel and such) as I am turning this into my dedicated varmint rifle.

The first question I have is do you think its worth the hassle? I have heard that the earlier MkII had problems with accuracy, but can't remember if it was fixed or not with some modifications. The problem is I don't know if mine falls into that category, not knowing how early they came into production. It seems fairly accurate though, because I got it to shoot about a 2" group at 100 yds before I realized that my scope was a little crooked.

So my second question is, being if it is worth it, is what brand of stock? The only one I have really looked at is a Hogue composite one. I've heard such great things about their pistol grips that I figured I would check them out. Does anybody have experience with them? What about other composites? As much as I love a nice laminated stock, this thing is going to see a lot of use in the snow and such (typical Montana weather.:-) ).

Any help or tips are greatly appreciated!
Old November 30, 2010, 08:25 AM   #2
mapsjanhere

You don't have to worry about a laminated stock and ice and snow. The reason they make laminated stocks is that they don't warp even if they get moist by alternating the direction of the grain in layers.
Whether it's worth it for you is up to you. To me, it's not looks but fit. Does the gun pop in the right position when you shoulder it, or do you have to search for the right eye relief on your scope, ending up with a s-curve in your neck? And that's another advantage of a wood stock, you can much easier take off half an inch or screw on a good extension pad if you need to adjust your length of pull. I'd only swap a synthetic for another synthetic if I'd actually handled the new one and I'm sure it has the fit I want.
Old November 30, 2010, 12:24 PM   #3
Scorch

You have several options for a stock (in order of increasing cost):
* Buy a laminated stock from Ruger, or a take-off Ruger laminated stock.
* Buy a Boyds or a Hogue stock.
* Buy a stock blank (real wood or laminated) and finish it yourself.
* Buy a B&C or similar synthetic stock.
* Buy a fiberglass or Kevlar/carbon stock and build a true custom.

The older Ruger M77s (pre-Mark IIs) had issues with accuracy. The M77 Mark IIs are pretty consistently good shooters.