The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 18, 2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Glenn E. Meyer

Cheese and Guns in the UK

So, I'm watching a show where they go around the world checking out cheese (www.cheeseslices.com). Very interesting - Austin has great cheese stores.

The host goes to look at farmhouse cheeses in England and the producer tells him that every once in awhile they get a big round one that is 'funky'. So how do they get rid of it?

Well, they take it out in the field and the farmers shoot it with a high power bolt gun. They discuss the best Winchester ballistic tip ammo for such. Then they shoot the cheese with a slo-mo explosion. Neat!

Quite the substitute for ballistic gel.

Interesting point - the rifle had a suppressor on it. That's the UK with tight gun controls.

Also, the cheese show host took a shot but had his eye too close to the end of the scope and took a whack.

Strange thing to see on a food show. Maybe I can get the local TX cheese folks to donate a bad cheese for the next match? There is quite a set of artisanal cheese farms here now.

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; August 18, 2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old August 18, 2013, 02:23 PM   #2
manta49

Quote:
Interesting point - the rifle had a suppressor on it. That's the UK with tight gun controls.
Yes you can get a suppressor for any firearm apart from handguns.
Old August 18, 2013, 02:38 PM   #3
wogpotter

Supressors are regarded differnetly in the U.K. not an "evile gangster" thing, but an "enviro friendly noise pollution reducer".

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old August 18, 2013, 05:18 PM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
It is the same as NZ - a safety device, nothing more - just as it should be here. They are bought OTC with no big deal. Imagine the prices of all of our brands (which are sold there) if they were an OTC item.........
Old August 18, 2013, 05:37 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Supressors are regarded differnetly in the U.K. not an "evile gangster" thing, but an "enviro friendly noise pollution reducer"
That's how they're regarded in many parts of the world.

In the US, President Roosevelt was running out of revenue sources to fund his various and sundry programs, so taxing the heck out of certain firearms-related stuff made sense. Hence the NFA.

Characterizing the use of silencers as the tools of assassins in popular culture helped with that.
Old August 18, 2013, 08:04 PM   #6
KyJim

Starting out, shooters could shoot at the 'big cheese." In case of a tie, they could back up and go for head shots; "head cheese," as it were. It wouldn't be a good idea to use Swiss cheese since it's full of holes anyway -- you'd never get an accurate score. Beer cheese and port cheese would be banned; alcohol and guns do not mix.

I gotta' million of 'em.
Old August 18, 2013, 08:20 PM   #7
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
In the US, President Roosevelt was running out of revenue sources to fund his various and sundry programs, so taxing the heck out of certain firearms-related stuff made sense. Hence the NFA.
Really? you believe that?
Old August 18, 2013, 08:22 PM   #8
MattShlock

That's how Hiram Percy Maxim marketed silencers here. We must export stamping out evil silent cheese-killers!!!
Old August 18, 2013, 08:24 PM   #9
egor20

My FIL in England has a little plinker .22 that he uses for rabbits I kinda chuckled when I saw the suppressor and I explained that we need $200 tax, the price of the suppressor and around 7 months to get one. He looked at me and said well if you have 100 Pounds and an hour we can go down to the store for one.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old August 18, 2013, 08:25 PM   #10
BigD_in_FL

yep, most folks here never seem to travel beyond their state borders, let alone their country borders and have NO idea how things work elsewhere
Old August 18, 2013, 10:01 PM   #11
dakota.potts

I was watching a review of a CZ 452 on YouTube once. The reviewer was from England and explained that a suppressor was included with purchase of the gun.
Old August 18, 2013, 10:49 PM   #12
DaleA

KyJim post #6...

I knew, absolutely KNEW it was coming but I didn't know when and I didn't know who.

(I really do like this forum.)
Old August 19, 2013, 09:55 AM   #13
wogpotter

I was in a club in the U.K. where "sound moderators" were mandatory. The club was in town & the "Noise Abatement Act" required us to keep sall sounds below 85 DB. So "sound moderation" was legally required.

It was a small town club, an indoor range with 8 firing points.
& over 500 members!

To put this into context though, in reality there's virtually no difference in supressor ownership from the regulatory point of view in the two countries.

The process to aquire & maintain a firearms certificate in the U.K. was (not sure currently, its been a while) about the same as the process for NFA (National Firearms Act) items over here. So you went through a similar process either way, it just that you did it earlier before aquiring a firearm & having a need for a sound moderator.

Last edited by wogpotter; August 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old August 19, 2013, 10:38 AM   #14
Colt46

The rest of the world

Views suppressors as effective and necessary tools for noise abatement. In this country they are tools of the criminal and are banned for the most part.
Old August 19, 2013, 10:56 AM   #15
Pilot

I can not remember ever hearing a suppressor being used in the commission of a crime in the U.S.
Old August 19, 2013, 12:31 PM   #16
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I can not remember ever hearing a suppressor being used in the commission of a crime in the U.S.
It may have happened, but I've never found any hard data.

My state bans their use in hunting, and we've been trying to get that changed for several years. The primary objection is from conservationists, who bemoan the use of improvised, illegal suppressors by poachers. Convincing them that we're talking about two completely different things has been tricky.
Old August 19, 2013, 02:27 PM   #17
Bart Noir

Quote:
Of course you didn't hear it! It's a suppressor!

Bart Noir
Old August 19, 2013, 02:42 PM   #18
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Of course you didn't hear it! It's a suppressor!
Nope. That, young man, would be a silencer.

Let the semantic games begin
Old August 19, 2013, 04:08 PM   #19
wogpotter

Moderator dammitt sir, moderator!

Old August 20, 2013, 08:03 PM   #20
Webleymkv

I seem to remember reading at one time that in a particular European country (I want to think Norway or Sweden but I'm not sure) that not only are suppressors legal to own, but they're legally required when hunting to cut down on noise pollution.
Old August 21, 2013, 02:10 AM   #21
natman

Quote:
I seriously doubt that NFA fees have ever generated enough revenue to be a molecule of a drop of water in the vast ocean of the federal budget.

It is a shame that sound moderation is viewed with such a slanted perspective in the US, but it's not an NFA item in order to generate money for the Federal Government.
Old August 21, 2013, 02:14 AM   #22
MEATSAW

Austin has great cheese stores? Interesting. I shouldn't be surprised, but HEB cheese is just soo good!
Old August 21, 2013, 11:01 AM   #23
Lark

Quote:
I never heard of it either until I got a look at the crime data a guy was collecting to support easing restrictions on their use in WA. He was only able to find ten cases where silencers were seized in the state, one was associated with a murder, the rest were crude examples seized during unrelated matters. None were registered as far as he would tell. It took several years but the law was changed and now the military, police and civilians can use silencers on their guns in WA.
Old August 21, 2013, 12:00 PM   #24
Glenn E. Meyer

Not to divert but in Austin for cheese:

Go to Antonellis on 43rd and Duval, or the Central Market and Whole Foods on Lamar.

Gun related - stop at McBrides on Lamar and look at guns. One needs cheese for the strength to do gun related items.

One great regret - I went to the Polite Society one year when the American Cheese Society had it's annual meeting and it was in Austin. Oh, no!

I will do the food stores, Book People, the Sci-fi/anime/comic store on Lamar, McBrides and then go Lamar further for the Asian Market and then GT Distributores on Brodie. Quite the shopping spree!
Old August 21, 2013, 10:01 PM   #25
Nickel Plated

Actually silencers were not added tot he NFA because of some assassin paranoia. You just have to look at when the NFA was passed. During the great depression. When people had no food they turned to poaching. Silencers made that alot easier to do without getting caught. So they were banned.

I guess when the antis claim the 2A is anachronistic and invalid because it was written 240 years ago and "The founding fathers couldn't foresee"
We can reverse that on them. Silencers were banned almost 80 years ago. Things were different then. The government couldn't foresee all the food we would have nowadays and nobody would need to poach. Unban them