The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 7, 2010, 09:57 PM   #1
grubbylabs

Looking for input from XD 45 owners

I just bought some 230 grain LRN to load up for my XDc.

Is there any thing I need to know before I start with them. Are they going to feed well? Any advise would be great. I think I am going to use Unique to start with.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old June 7, 2010, 10:24 PM   #2
rwilson452

RNL bullets should work just fine. Just don't try SWC bullets. most XD's don't like them. As to unique, You may find you need a tighter crimp to make it burn a little cleaner. You don't need a tighter crimp but it seems to be cleaner and more accurate that way. I think it has something to do with start pressure. I went back to W231.
Old June 7, 2010, 10:28 PM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

They've fed just fine in mine. Be sure to load down 10% from FMJ data if none is available. Take a gander at Hodgdon's web site. They have load data through the nose.

Be sure to thoroughly clean your barrel first if you've been firing jacketed bullets previously.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old June 8, 2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Sevens

Quote:
Be sure to thoroughly clean your barrel first if you've been firing jacketed bullets previously.
Good advice. Even better (and just as relevant) advice is to make for darn sure you've removed any traces of lead from your barrel before you switch back to jacketed.

Shooting jacketed after lead can lead to radically increased pressures... but for the most part, it just makes for some lead that is damn near welded to the inside of the bore and nearly impossible to remove.
Old June 8, 2010, 11:02 AM   #5
grubbylabs

When I clean I clean till I get a clean Patch, is that good enough? Or is there something else I can or should do?

(Capt Charlie)
Old June 8, 2010, 11:24 AM   #6
ojibweindian

Lead round nose, and lead round nose flat points, will feed just fine in your XD. You might have an issue with lead semi-wadcutters though. I know I do.

As far as getting rid of the lead in your barrel, a stiff bronze brush and some solvent should normally do the trick. If not, try wrapping a piece of a bronze scouring pad around your bronze brush, or buy a slightly oversized bronze brush.
Old June 8, 2010, 10:26 PM   #7
Shane Tuttle
Staff

If your patch is clean and you have no noticeable fouling (use a borelight), you should be fine. I normally have fouling when running only patches. Did you use a bore brush to scrub?

Old June 8, 2010, 10:55 PM   #8
grubbylabs

Yes, I run a soaked patch through several times, then I run a brush through a few times. Then I repeat with a soaked patch until the patch is clean after brushing.

(Capt Charlie)
Old June 9, 2010, 01:08 PM   #9
grubbylabs

Well I loaded up 10 rounds each of 5.0 , 5.5, and 6.0 grains of Unique. Not sure when I will be able to get out to the range to test them out but hopefully I can get them to be good enough on the low end. All I am looking for is a soft plinker that will hit the target with reasonable results.

(Capt Charlie)
Old June 9, 2010, 10:06 PM   #10
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Then that's plenty clean. You should be good to go.

If you're looking for soft shooting, I recommend changing powders to Win231 or HP38.

Old June 9, 2010, 11:22 PM   #11
rwilson452

If you think you bore is really clean, run a patch soaked with a copper solvent. I'm partial to Butch's bore shine and Sweet's 7.62. Run a patch of that stuff down the bore. Let it set for 15 min. Then a clean patch and see what you get.
Old June 10, 2010, 09:01 AM   #12
riverwalker76

You should be fine. Just a hint .... get a Sprinco XD Recoil Reducing kit as soon as you can. It makes my XD Tactical 45 recoil like a broken in 9mm and I get faster shot recovery for silhouette shooting.
Old June 10, 2010, 08:24 PM   #13
whiplash

I got more consistant bullet seating by doing two steps, seating then crimping seperately.
Old June 10, 2010, 09:51 PM   #14
grubbylabs

where do I get I get one of those recoil reducing kits? Is it just a heavier spring?

I tried the rounds with 6 grains of unique and they shot to point of aim. They shot better than any thing I have ever put through that gun. The recoil was not bad but it could have been better.

(Capt Charlie)