The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 21, 2006, 10:37 AM   #1
ZeroJunk

30/06 Elk Loads

I got sticker shock looking at the cost of rifle ammo in Cabelas so I loaded up some Elk loads this morning.Thought I had some Nosler partitions in 165 grain but I did not,so I used Speer SPBT.Sighted in the rifle using a "state of the art" target.Used 58 grains of 4350( 1979 Speer Manual).Federal match primers.Attached picture of the target.Pretty good for a stock Rem 700.Only shot a 3 shot group because I am prone to have a nervous jerk most any time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rem 700.JPG (50.7 KB, 99 views)
Old September 21, 2006, 04:07 PM   #2
Smokey Joe

Saving $$

Zerojunk--Nice group--I assume the other holes in the target are from something else irrelevant.

I'd work on the flinch you mention--you don't want to have one just as The Elk Of The Century shows itself @ 300 yd. And 5 shot groups tell you more about a load's accuracy than do 3 shot groups.

Re: Bullets: Penetration is the name of the game in shooting elk, along with accuracy. Therefore yr first choice of Nolser Partitions is a very good one. However, the Nosler Accubond holds together better and penetrates about as well. For even more penetration, along with accuracy, consider the Barnes Triple Shock X bullets. No lead core so no separation. These are all accurate bullets out of most rifles.

Have had poor accuracy results with .30-'06 Speer bullets myself, specifically their 165 grain Grand Slam, and my reading shows me that I'm not alone. If you have a choice of a different bullet manufacturer by all means do so, especially for a big tough animal like an elk.

With a .30-'06 you could go with a 180 grain bullet, which would get you about as much accuracy, and better penetration just because it's heavier. I wouldn't go any higher in bullet weight; bullet drop at long range starts to become a major factor.

BTW, this is no criticism, but you might consider getting a newer loading manual. There have been lots of powders introduced since 1979, and the specs have changed on some of the older ones. And it's good to have more than 1 manual anyhow.

Hope yr elk hunting goes well.

--Smokey Joe
Old September 21, 2006, 11:15 PM   #3
rem33

Having killed several elk with a 30-06 using 150 grain bullets I suppose the loads you have worked up will be fine. Just remember proper shot placement is key. Whether your using a 270 or lighter to a 338 mag or larger it's more important where you hit em than what you hit em with.
Old September 22, 2006, 09:05 AM   #4
sundog

Determine if your first shot cold barrel shoots to the same POI as a group. In particular, I have a 7 mag that will print first shot from a cold, fouled barrel at 11 o'clock, consistently. You need to know this. Also, does group size and POI change if fired from clean or fouled barrel. Just a thought. sundog
Old September 22, 2006, 09:33 AM   #5
ZeroJunk

I am going to buy a box of better bullets for Elk size game,either 165 Nosler Partitions or Barnes X depending on what I can find on the shelf.I have 180 grain in both but I just like 165's better.I'll save the Speer reloads for deer,as their softness seems to transfer more energy in that size game.I have had X bullets slip straight through a deer and never expand.Of course there are anomalies in everything.Be interesting to see if the Barnes or Noslers shoot as well.I agree,first shot out of a cold barrel is what you really need to know.