The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 4, 2005, 10:44 PM   #1
drufus

Silicone gun socks?

I just bought a new shotgun, and while I was at the gun shop, I picked up a silicone-impregnated gun sock. Does anyone know if these things really work. I'de like to get som opinions before I go and buy another one.
Old January 6, 2005, 02:49 PM   #2
beenthere

Silicone Socks

They beat the dickens out of nothing. I stored for years stacked up in a closet with no protection. That was a chore. Run patches to make sure no spiders get in. Collect dust etc. I'm sure a gun safe with humidity control would be better but the gunsocks at least keep things from settling on the guns and with a double layer from two rifles each with a sock, they don't get banged together severely moving them around. It's probably minimal protection from moisture if my understanding about silicone (at least in spray form) is correct. I read in another post that the silicone spray when it dries turns eventually to a powder which would eventually wipe off from friction. In the absence of some better method I'd recommend you continue with the gun socks.
Old May 9, 2005, 09:58 PM   #3
Lawyer Daggit

I have used them for some years. When carrying a firearm in a case with synthetic padding it provides the metal with some protection against moisture and also protects the metal and wood from other guns in a crowded safe.
Old May 20, 2005, 01:44 AM   #4
Guyon

I second what Lawyer said: They work nicely when you have to store long guns in close proximity (in a lock box or safe). By using gun socks at least on every other gun, it helps keep them from clanking together when you take them in and out.