The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 9, 2024, 09:50 AM   #1
Rex Rugged

Help finding aftermarket stock

I have bought a Weatherby Mark V Hunter rifle and would like to replace the stock with carbon fiber to lighten the weapon for hunting. My LOP is pretty short (13") and actually makes eye relief for my picatinny mounted scope an issue. I removed 5/8" from the Weatherby factory stock and installed a LimbSaver pad which works well and is very comfortable. I do not have to goose neck to use the scope now! When I contacted Peak 44 about their stock for my rifle they informed me they did not provide custom LOP stocks at this time. Does anybody have any suggestions for a company that can provide a carbon stock to suit my short arms. LOL.
Old February 9, 2024, 03:25 PM   #2
taylorce1

Give McMillan a call, you can get an Edge fill.stock inlet for the Mark V. Did you ask Peak 44 if their stock could be cut down? They may not offer a custom LOP, but that doesn't mean the stock couldn't be made to fit.
Old February 9, 2024, 04:01 PM   #3
stagpanther

Did you ask Weatherby? Should drop right into a Camilla ultralight I would think.

Last edited by stagpanther; February 9, 2024 at 04:07 PM.
Old February 10, 2024, 12:46 AM   #4
Rex Rugged

Taylorce1 Peak44 advised not to attempt to cut their stock.
Old February 10, 2024, 12:50 AM   #5
Rex Rugged

Stagpanther I will try that, thanks for the suggestion. I would rather have the Peak44 stock since it is so light. Can't always get what you want I guess.
Old February 10, 2024, 02:28 AM   #6
stagpanther

Quote:
Stagpanther I will try that, thanks for the suggestion. I would rather have the Peak44 stock since it is so light. Can't always get what you want I guess.
It's manufactured to 13" LOP, made for MK 5 action and is carbon fiber; seems logical to look into to me. I've shot several top carbon fiber fly-weight rifles, simply not my thing but I can understand why people who do long treks for hunts want them. Actually, the people I know who are buying them are mostly out-of-shape olden-fartens (I'm a member of that club) with money burning holes in their wallets (not a member of that club).

Last edited by stagpanther; February 10, 2024 at 02:36 AM.
Old February 10, 2024, 09:40 AM   #7
jmr40

For what it will cost you to buy a stock that will significantly reduce rifle weight you can just buy a lighter rifle.

Winston Churchill
Old February 10, 2024, 12:02 PM   #8
stagpanther

For the "ultimate" in lightweight that pretty much boils down to CF stock and CF barrel--like a Christiansen--though everyone seems to be jumping on the bandwagon these days. The ones I've shot I was left with the impression I'd better be confident I'd anchor whatever I was shooting at with the first shot. That holds true with any rifle--I know--but I was left with the impression it was even more important with an ultralight. My less than 2 cents.
Old February 10, 2024, 02:53 PM   #9
taylorce1

@jmr40, with a Weatherby Mark V usually mean they're chambered in Weatherby cartridges. So it's probably cheaper for the OP to buy a different stock than another rifle if he wants to stay with the same cartridge choice.

@Rex Rugged, give McMillan a call. They'll build you the LOP you want. I'd go handle a few Camilla rifles before buying the stock for your rifle.
Old February 10, 2024, 03:36 PM   #10
Rex Rugged

This thread has been good for me. A lot of info. I appreciate that! The Rifle I have, a Weatherby Mark V 270 Magnum, has been my dream gun since I was young and I may be wrong in my thinking but with the scope of my choice, a lighter stock will offset the weight of the scope and bi-pod.
Old February 10, 2024, 11:02 PM   #11
stagpanther

I agree the 270 WM is an absolute classic cartridge in Roy's stable--especially when they pair their ammo with partitions.
Quote:
I'd go handle a few Camilla rifles before buying the stock for your rifle.
Probably a good idea--I guess it's possible there are other adjustments to the design to accommodate the female anatomy other than just LOP--though they mention it should be appropriate for shooters of smaller stature. I still think giving them a call would be worth it--Weatherby is top-notch when it comes to service for their hunter constituency.

Last edited by stagpanther; February 11, 2024 at 07:20 AM.
Old February 13, 2024, 08:02 AM   #12
Rex Rugged

Weatherby says it will not fit due to the Magnum action. I'm in no hurry but I am impatient for finding a solution. I'm starting to think McMillan may be the only solution.
Old February 13, 2024, 10:32 AM   #13
stagpanther

Quote:
Weatherby says it will not fit due to the Magnum action
Ah--I didn't bother checking the actual cartridges--while I don't think there is an issue with long action I guess they made Camilla to be specifically a narrower bolt face (and "powder puff" recoil )
Old February 13, 2024, 11:03 AM   #14
taylorce1

McMillan isn't your only choice it was my recommendation as I've used there stocks.

MPI Gunstocks shows the MKV as an option.

Oregunsmithing Pendleton Stocks are rumored to be available for the MKV.

Then there is always the B&C Medalist, but it probably won't lighten up your rifle.

Is this the MKV Hunter you have? If so I think even going carbon fiber you'll have a hard time lightening up your rifle. It's listed at 7.3 lbs for the bare rifle and that is pretty light. I'd pull your action out of the stock and weigh it, first and then compare to what a light weight stock will weigh. If you're already under 2 lbs, your going to pay a lot for not very many ounces off what you already have.

Last edited by taylorce1; February 13, 2024 at 11:09 AM.
Old February 13, 2024, 08:36 PM   #15
stagpanther

I just received an announcement from Weatherby about this new product. I did a quick glance of the details (and cartridges it's offered in) and this rifle looks like it comes very close to being a marriage of the Vanguard's polymer stock and trimmed down barrel and fluted bolt to the proven beefy 6 radial lug design of the traditional MK 5 action (which can also handle the beefier magnum cartridges). The weights of this rifle are probably pretty close to as light as you can get with a MK 5 magnum action without spending hundreds--maybe thousands--to knock off what might not be more than another 8 to 16 ounces of weight by going carbon fiber exotic.
Old February 14, 2024, 08:45 AM   #16
Rex Rugged

stagpanther I have absolutely no issue with low recoil if it helps with bullet placement, in fact I prefer such as that seems to me to be the point of the endeavor. LOL
Old February 14, 2024, 09:48 AM   #17
stagpanther

Quote:
stagpanther I have absolutely no issue with low recoil if it helps with bullet placement, in fact I prefer such as that seems to me to be the point of the endeavor. LOL
A stout 150 gr 270 Weatherby magnum on a lightweight rifle is going to have very respectable felt recoil--I've shot a lot of them.
Old February 14, 2024, 02:29 PM   #18
stagpanther

"Nothing shoots faster, flatter and hits harder" Always liked that jingle (or its approximation).
Old February 14, 2024, 05:18 PM   #19
Rex Rugged

Stagpanther I think that is one of the benefits of solid copper. I'll be staying in the 130 or less range. Barnes or Hammer
Old February 14, 2024, 05:21 PM   #20
Rex Rugged

The more I look into this--(with some help I've received here) I'm less enthusiastic about a new stock. Still this gun is going to weigh about 9 lbs Good for accuracy, bad if I have to trek a good deal. LOL
Old February 14, 2024, 07:42 PM   #21
stagpanther

Quote:
Stagpanther I think that is one of the benefits of solid copper. I'll be staying in the 130 or less range. Barnes or Hammer
I'm not even sure if Weatherby still markets the 150 gr select partitions any more; but I've shot quite a bit of it--although I haven't personally taken game with it--I've found it it to be outstanding in velocity, practical hunting point blank range and accuracy. Because of its capability I'd watch out for possibly over-driving light bullets; but that's just a hunch.

Fully decked out magnum Mark 5's--scoped, ammo etc usually is around 8 to 9 lbs in my experience but balances and handles the power well IMO. I had a lightweight 300 wby mag and while I have no problem taking the recoil impact of that cartridge it was like shooting a Mexican jumping bean to me.

Last edited by stagpanther; February 14, 2024 at 07:50 PM.
Old February 14, 2024, 08:58 PM   #22
Rex Rugged

Stagpanther I agree with your concern about over-drive. I am loading my own ammo and have some work to do. I'm actually going to the range tomorrow to do just that. I'm thinking Nosler partition below 300 and Barnes further out. What do you think? Does than dovetail with your experience?
Old February 15, 2024, 02:47 AM   #23
stagpanther

For sure the 130 to 150 gr will anchor most NA big game out to 300 yds I would think. Something equivalent to the Select grade of 150 partitions zeroed for 200 yds works perfectly for a hunter friend's rifle that I've shot and worked on--they always fill their tag and shoot in the 200+/- range. I would be perhaps a little concerned about a high velocity light weight solid lasering through a soft game at closer ranges. Nosler and Hornady both make solids that promote opening so that might also be an option. Full disclosure--as I said I haven't dropped game myself with it--but have done extensive shooting with it and prepped hunting friend's rifles.

Last edited by stagpanther; February 15, 2024 at 03:00 AM.
Old February 15, 2024, 10:18 AM   #24
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Rugged
I'm thinking Nosler partition below 300 and Barnes further out. What do you think? Does than dovetail with your experience?
You need to flip it around. In my experience Barnes TSX/TTSX need more impact velocity than a Nosler Partition to work properly. The Partition is a pretty soft bullet that opens well at lower speeds but because of the design it works at high velocites as well. However, I've never had Partitions shoot well enough to use as a long range bullet.

If you want a Barnes bullet to work at longer ranges well you need to use the LRX bullet, but the 155 grain .277 bullet needs a 1:8 twist to work. This option probably only leaves you the 129 grain to work with, but they are reported to work down to 1600 fps for proper expansion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Rugged
Still this gun is going to weigh about 9 lbs Good for accuracy, bad if I have to trek a good deal.
I was wondering how do you have your rifle set up? What optic, rings/mounts, and bi-pod are you using? I'm thinking a 9 lbs rifle isn't bad, I successfully hunted elk with an over 10 lbs .308 suppressed a couple of years ago. I now have a 7 lbs suppressed .308, but it's very hard for me to shoot consistently well. Without the suppressor it weighs 6 lbs and almost impossible for me to hold a group under 2 MOA because of recoil.
Old February 15, 2024, 11:39 AM   #25
wachtelhund1

Carbon Fiber stock

Make your own Carbon fiber stock. I made one for a CZ 527, it weighed 28 oz. I believe I did a write up on it here. I'll have to look.

Last edited by wachtelhund1; February 15, 2024 at 12:27 PM.