The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 18, 2009, 10:43 AM   #1
tuleyz

need help with new gun

I recently purchased a used remington 1100 12G. It shoots great hasn't jammed yet or anything, but it's a little dirty and i'm wanting to give it a good cleaning. I started by removing the magazine cap and then fore-end. That's the furthest I can get. The barrel won't slide off. Is there something I'm missing or a trick to get the barrel off?
Old March 18, 2009, 11:03 AM   #2
JWT

If you don't have the original manual that includes instructions for disassembly and how to put it back together go one line and order a Remington 1100 guide that shows you the entire procedure. It's not difficult, but having actual instructions and pictures makes it much easier - especially when it's time to put things back together. You make also find a manual a store like Sportsmans Warehouse or Cabelas.
Old March 18, 2009, 11:16 AM   #3
tuleyz

I do not have the manual. I'll look into ordering one. but is there anyone that can just tell me how to get the barrel off?
Old March 18, 2009, 11:20 AM   #4
Scorch

Quote:
I do not have the manual.
Sure you do!
http://gunmanuals.net/Manuals/remington_1100-1187.pdf

No need th thank me, just send me a shoebox full of tens and twenties, along with a certified copy of Howard Hughes' will, and we'll call it even.
Old March 18, 2009, 11:24 AM   #5
PetahW

With the cap and forend off, hold the bolt partially back, and just slide the barrel off towards the front.

Take care not to lose the metal ring and "O" ring - and be sure to make note of their relative positions and which side of the metal faces the receiver, for reinstallation later.

After removing the barrel, and ensuring the hammer is cocked (pull the bolt all the way to the rear) - use a small drift to remove the two unequal pins in the receiver that hold the trigger group in, then withdraw the entire trigger group downward out of the receiver for flushing/cleaning/lube.

If you pull the trigger with the trigger group out - like to work in cleaner and/or lube - simply recock it with your fingers B4 attempting to re-install the trigger group in the receiver.

Re-assemble in reverse order.

Old March 18, 2009, 01:25 PM   #6
tuleyz

thanks a lot! i figured it out!