The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 12, 2013, 04:19 PM   #1
CADILLAC HOOSIER

Promag 20 round magazine for xd40

Anyone have any experience with these? Saw an ad, just wondering. Thanks, HOOSIER
Old February 12, 2013, 11:19 PM   #2
9mm

Most promag products suck, just look at reviews for them on like midwayusa/cheaperthandirt. I ahve a feeling this will be the same for xd40
Old February 13, 2013, 12:12 AM   #3
Fishbed77

I have never known of a Promag product that didn't suck.
Old February 13, 2013, 01:27 AM   #4
Dragline45

Promags are a crap shoot. You might get one that works fine, but more often that not they have a few quirks. If it's all you can find go for it, but there are better choices.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:42 AM   #5
bonefamily

I had one for a Kel Tec P-32 that worked fine. I was worried when I bought the gun as it was used and the Pro Mag was the only mag that came with it, but never had any troubles with it.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Tactical Jackalope

ProMags are the worst magazines known to mankind. I'd rather bring a sharp stick.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:28 AM   #7
Walt Sherrill

As someone else said, PRO-MAGS are a crap shoot.

I'm a long-time CZ enthusiast, and learned NOT to use their mags in full-size CZs, as the springs seem to die quickly. But the Pro-mags for the CZ compact guns work as well as factory mags, and aren't short-lived. (I used them back during the magazine ban period -- as their 75B Compact .40 mags [built for a gun that CZ didn't introduce at the time, as planned] worked well in 9mm compacts, and in the 9 models acted like hi-caps, giving 14 rounds.)

If I were you, I'd buy ONE of the Pro-Mags and anticipate problems. Then, if you have problems, bug Pro-Mag until they get you one that works. They DO have a good warranty, and people seldom take advantage of it. If you're persistent, you'll probably end up with a mag that works.

With other Pro-mags, just replacing the mag springs (which you may not be able to do with a 20-round mag) makes the magazines work right, and it's only about $5 from Wolff springs. Unless the the Pro-mags are really cheap, that doesn't pay off -- as good mags for other applications are generally available from Mec-Gar at comparable prices, and the Mec-Gar mags are the "gold standard" of magazines. They're springs last much longer.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:40 AM   #8
carguychris

This all you need to know...

Please
Remember
Our
Magazines
Are
Garbage

Thank you for your time.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:42 AM   #9
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
This all you need to know...

Please
Remember
Our
Magazines
Are
Garbage

Thank you for your time.
That is so brilliant! lmao

I have a picture somewhere...I smashed the one I had with a hammer.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:49 AM   #10
breakingcontact

I'd stick with stock.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:21 PM   #11
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
I'd stick with stock..
They have 20-round stock mags for the XD40?

Some mag extensions might be a more reliable/practical alternative to the Pro-Mag 20-rounders... if they make them for this model Springfield.
Old February 13, 2013, 08:29 PM   #12
9mm

Quote:
ProMags are the worst magazines known to mankind. I'd rather bring a sharp stick.
LOL! how are they sitll in business?
Old February 13, 2013, 11:08 PM   #13
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
LOL! how are they sitll in business?
I have no idea man lol. It's pathetic how they'd toy with people's lives like that

Here's a pic of my fit with the ProMag that ruined my life. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360814763.506314.jpg

Sent from my phone...expect typos.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:19 AM   #14
9mm

Haha! maybe you could have gotten 5 cents for recyle of it.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:16 AM   #15
Walt Sherrill

I'm curious -- how many of you who have had problems with Pro-Mag magazines tried to get them to make it right?

I know (and agree) that it's a hassle you shouldn't have to deal with, but it can be a lot cheaper than buying new mags and trashing the old ones? I think that if more people really got on Pro-Mag about their poor product quality and kept on them, Pro-Mag would either make'm right the first time, or start to lose money fixing the ones that are bad.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:15 PM   #16
Sure shot wv

I bought one promag 20rd for my xd40 last year to test it out and like everyone else it has proven to be complete junk. I've never got through 1 full mag without an issue. But also like most I haven't persued the issue like I should have I guess I figured I only paid about 15 bucks for it so it wasn't worth my time. If you do try one I'd love to hear how it works. Good luck with it.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:34 PM   #17
tahunua001

this is an interesting thread. AR15 and AK owners RAVE over Pmags, during the first few weeks of obama gun grab 2013, there was an endless stream of threads in the semi auto rifle forums of people screaming over their inability to find Pmags. I personally never had issues with a 20 rounder out of my AK and a 15 round 1911 Pmag works flawlessly out of a reworked enfield of mine. many people swear by archangel(made by Promag) stocks and I've never had any trouble with mine.

why all of the animosity all of the sudden?
Old February 14, 2013, 05:27 PM   #18
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
why all of the animosity all of the sudden?
It's not all of the sudden... I've been watching this sort of response when Pro-Mag is mentioned since the late 90's when I first really got into shooting (after my father died and I inherited a bunch of guns...)
Old February 14, 2013, 06:23 PM   #19
Tactical Jackalope

Yeah man...ProMags have always been junk and I think they might always be junk if people keep buying them.

Sent from my phone...expect typos.
Old February 14, 2013, 06:50 PM   #20
Dragline45

Quote:
this is an interesting thread. AR15 and AK owners RAVE over Pmags, during the first few weeks of obama gun grab 2013, there was an endless stream of threads in the semi auto rifle forums of people screaming over their inability to find Pmags.
Pmags are made by Magpul, they have no association with Pro Mags.
Old February 14, 2013, 07:17 PM   #21
lee n. field

Quote:
this is an interesting thread. AR15 and AK owners RAVE over Pmags,
Wrong brand, as pointed out.

(Back when I had a Mini) my Mini-14 Promags were fine, both plastic and metal.

(My one Promag pistol magazine is somewhere in the basement, getting anointed with cat **** and rusting, long after the CA-100 I bought it for was gone. Wasn't reliable, didn't want it going with the gun.)

Quote:
They have 20-round stock mags for the XD40?
Not to my knowledge.

Quote:
Some mag extensions might be a more reliable/practical alternative to the Pro-Mag 20-rounders... if they make them for this model Springfield.
NI think some of the aftermarket baseplates offer a round or two extra capacity. I don't know of anything more than that.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 22, 2013, 03:58 AM   #22

I guess I will be the fly in this ointment. I love the smith 3rd gen 45s. To that end I wanted more capacity. The only option for a ten round mag ( that I could find) is the pro mag. Both of mine feed well in a 4506 and 4566tsw.
Old February 22, 2013, 04:11 AM   #23
LockedBreech

There are two main providers of aftermarket magazines, Mec-Gar and Promag. They should not be mentioned in the same sentence. Mec-Gar is a solid, quality product that makes the factory-original magazines for several brands, including certain runs of CZ, Ruger, and certain runs of Sig Sauer. Promag is, to be polite, junk most of the time.

As with many things in life, you tend to get what you pay for here.