The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 2, 2010, 04:23 PM   #1
C Philip

Value of my 1916 Gew 98 Mauser?

This is a 1916 Gew 98 Mauser, and I would like to know what it may be worth. The bolt, barrel, and receiver are matching, but the stock does not appear to be original and it looks like someone tried to drill it for a side mounted scope then filled it in. The barrel is dark and has some pitting. I've seem similar guns for sale online for around $400, but I'm guessing this one is worth less. Lock-up is solid and I do not see any import marks. Please let me know more about this rifle. Also, is it still C&R if the stock isn't original?

Old February 2, 2010, 07:35 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The bore is pretty typical, though I have seen worse. With the lack of finish and the stock repair, your guess as to value would probably be about right, maybe a little low, but not much.

The gun is a C&R. A correct replacement stock doesn't change that status, but a complete "sporterizing" job would, as BATFE would consider the result a new rifle, different in nature from the original.

In truth, I can't imagine anyone caring much about the status of an old bolt action.

Jim

Last edited by James K; February 2, 2010 at 07:42 PM.