The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 20, 2009, 10:17 PM   #1
BCCanuck

9 mm 138 grn CMJ bullets with Win231

I am looking for a loading recipe for loading 9 mm 138 grain RN Frontier CMJ bullets and using Win231 powder.
I contacted Frontier to see if they had a suggestion, but they said that 138 bullets were discontinued and 135 bullets are sold now. They also said that 138 grn bullets would work just as well using 135 grain data. Is this true or will the extra 3 grains make a difference.
I couldnt find a load suggestion for Win231 and 135 grain FMJ or plated bullets in my loading manuals. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Old October 20, 2009, 11:24 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

The 3 extra grains will make no difference. What I normally do in a situation like this is look at slightly heavier bullet load data to get an idea of a good start load for that slightly lighter bullet. Work up from there. BUT, I would first do all I could to get publishd data from the bullet manufacturer, powder manufacturer, or load manuals. Good luck!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~