The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 8, 2008, 02:31 AM   #1
usaz

Suppressed .22 1911

I posted this question over at the 1911forum and then remembered that there was a NFA subforum here.

Is anyone familiar with a threaded .22 conversion unit for the 1911? If nobody makes one, would it work to take a Commander sized slide and have them put a Government length barrel in it (then get the barrel threaded)?

Or

If I picked up a Colt Service Ace barrel, is it possible to weld an extension on the barrel to be threaded? I already have a Service Ace but would not want to alter the original parts.

Thanks for any info
Old November 8, 2008, 09:32 AM   #2
David Hineline

The Marvel precision type 1 kit is available threaded. Tactical solutions makes something similar. any barrel can have a threaded extension put onto it.
Old November 8, 2008, 04:38 PM   #3
usaz

Thank you for the information. I'll take a look at those.
Old November 8, 2008, 08:51 PM   #4
David Hineline

I bet you can find something to buy here. If you really need to see and touch a Marvel kit I can bring mine.

http://www.smallarmsreview.com/SarWest2008.htm

Old November 9, 2008, 12:45 AM   #5
usaz

David,

That looks slick. Thanks for the photo and the heads up on the show. That's nice of you to offer to let me take a look at it, but I've handled Marvel's before (though I wasn't aware that they had threaded barrels available) After seeing your pistol my desire to have a threaded .22 1911 has just tripled.
Old November 9, 2008, 10:10 PM   #6

I have the Tactical Solutions conversion kit.
I bought it from the factory with a threaded barrel.
It runs great on my Colt 1911s with or without a suppressor.
I am really happy with it. It hasn't been out very long: maybe a year. I have only put about 500 rounds through mine but it seems to run fine with all kinds of ammo including both Remington and Federal Walmart bulk packed stuff.

http://www.tacticalsol.com/store/pc/...&idproduct=896
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old November 19, 2008, 11:25 PM   #7
2ndchance

There is a company called Hi Desert Dogs in Nevada. They can thread/backthread almost any barrel. They can take any 1911 22LR conversion and add threads to it.

I owned a Marvel Precision Unit 2 with the theaded barrel. Probably the best I've ever had. They even sell a reduced power recoil spring that works great with subsonic rounds. This model took over 200 rounds to break in and function flawlessly. However, out of the box, it was shooting dime size groups...

Kimber use to use JAC units. Now, they use Marvel Unit 2. Same with Wilson Combat.

Jarvis made a rough version of the Unit 1. It was good but was rough looking. They sold the rights to Tactical Solutions back in 2006 and Tactical Solutions are now producing a cleaner version.

I'm not a fan of JAC conversions. They seem less reliable. I started with one of these and sold it within 3 months.

I've tried the cheap to the expensive. At the end, I've always fallen back onto my Ruger MKII. Hard to beat the reliability and accuracy of the "tried and true" Ruger MKII.