The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 11, 2008, 06:51 PM   #1
patkinson

Benchrest Front Rifle Rest

Does anyone have an opinion of what they think is a good benchrest rifle rest that doesn't break the bank and is heavy enough and well made enough for benchrest shooting? Many say the Caldwell 1000 is made rather sloppy.
Old March 11, 2008, 10:08 PM   #2
exercion

I use one of Joe Cowan's rests for F-Class. Extremely well designed and built, priced exceptionally well, and built by high school kids with the proceeds going to support their program. Here's a link (I hope) to some more info on them as well as pics:
http://team40x.com/page10.html

if you want contact info feel free to PM me.

Eric
Old March 12, 2008, 12:36 AM   #3
Bogie

Well, there's the Farley (grin...)

I've shot over one of those, a Hoehn adjustable top on a Hart base, and a Sinclair adjustable top on a Hart base.

Personally, I like the Farley (grin...)

But if I was going for #2, I'd probably go with the Hoehn/Hart combination, with a "standard" 3" bag on the top instead of the small ones that some folks like.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old October 24, 2008, 11:20 AM   #4
Buzz Yooper

A solid rest with no slopiness in the adjustments doesn't necessarily have to be made from machined steel/aluminum and cast iron.

This is a rest that I made from oak, adjustable for windage and elevation. It is solid as a rock, and has no slopiness in the adjustments.

I used a prototype of this rest to win first place in the sporter class at a rimfire benchrest match at the Riverside Gun Club, Richfield, nc a couple of months ago. I shot a 990-29x using a stock CZ 452 Trainer and SK standard Plus ammo. I would have done better, except that on one of my cards, I had set my timer for 10 minutes instead of 15, and at some point I looked at it and thought that I only had 1 minute left to shoot 15 targets, so I just sort of blasted the remaining targtets, and dropped 6 points there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00343.JPG (34.1 KB, 1643 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00342.JPG (33.6 KB, 1048 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00345.JPG (32.2 KB, 801 views)

Last edited by Buzz Yooper; October 24, 2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Old October 24, 2008, 02:35 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

Buzz a really nice rest. well made and nicely finished.
A coupla years ago I was at a car swap & shop, lo and behold whit did I see, a large clump of cast iron - the twenty dollar bill was smokin when it landed in the guy's hand. That's all he wanted for a used Ransom rest. All it needed was some cleaning a oiling, the forearm rest bag was in perfect shape. Looked it up on Midway and they want over $600 for it. Tom F.