The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2000, 04:23 AM   #1
JNewhouse

Has anyone else done this? I only pulled one because I was in a hurry to load other things for the next day of shooting.
I weighed the charge and it came out to 43.6 grains. If I use IMR4895, can I work up to this charge? Does anyone have the "Do Not Exceed" charge for IMR4895 and a 168 gr jacketed? The load data I have doesn't list it.
Oh yeah, and the OAL of the factory load was 2.84 in??
Old May 8, 2000, 08:50 AM   #2
Sport45

I'd recommend sticking to loads listed in reloading manuals. I don't know how you would find out what powder Federal put in that cartridge. Don't assume you can tell by looking at it. You did not even mention what caliber you're playing with. It's best to ask for opinion on best powder, etc, and work your own load up rom published data. I hope this helps without being too offensive...
Old May 8, 2000, 09:53 AM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Sport45 said it all. Sounds like you are fairly new to the game so it might be a good idea to go buy an additional reloading book. Quite often one manual will list a load with your favorite powder when another doesn't. If it isn't listed in any manual then it is probably a bad choice for that round. I4895 is a relatively fast powder as rifle powders go, so the case size and bullet weight will dictate whether it's a good choice.

By weighing the Fed GM powder, you have only determined how much of Powder X they happened to use. It has absolutely no relation to how much you should use. Commercial rounds quite often use a blend of powders which is not available to the general public. As Sport45 said, you cannot tell what it is by looking at it.
Old May 8, 2000, 10:21 AM   #4
SKR

Although as already pointed out by other posters, you have neglected to state what caliber you are dealing with, and your little experiment is not considered safe, here's an answer to your question.

If you are dealing with .308 Winchester, a load of IMR-4895 from 36.1 grains to 44.0 grains and a 9-1/2 primer is safe. If dealing with .30-06, from 41.6 grains to 48.5 grains and Winchester WLR Primer.

Old May 8, 2000, 12:25 PM   #5
JNewhouse

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it was .308. I posted the message at 2 am....higher brain functions shut off.
I didn't expect to use the exact same powder as what was in the factory load. I was just looking for a max load for the IMR4895. I also was wondering why the OAL was 2.84.
Old May 8, 2000, 01:05 PM   #6
Walt Welch

Ammunition manufacturers use NON cannister grade powders. They can thus take a given powder lot, and determine what amount to use by doing presssure tests. The amount loaded will probably vary between powder lots.

You can only buy CANNISTER grade powder. No relationship exists between any non cannister grade powder and a cannister grade.

Your datum is meaningless. Walt
Old May 8, 2000, 02:59 PM   #7
Paul B.

JNewhouse. The Sierra reloading manual has the data you need.
I don't post load data on any forum.
Paul B.
Old May 9, 2000, 10:18 AM   #8
JNewhouse

Thanks Paul. I was trying to decide which book to buy next. I admit that I only have two, but that is because I was only reloading one calibler until now. (I try and keep guns in same calibers whenever possible)
So what is the difference between non-canister grade and cannister grade powders?
Old May 9, 2000, 12:38 PM   #9
Sport45

Canister grade powder is consistant (or as consistant as the manufacturer can make it) lot to lot for reloaders. When you buy a jug of H4895 you can be reasonably sure that it will load and perform the same as your last can of H4895. The ammunition manufacturers buy powder in boxcar size lots. They use test barrels and work up a load for that lot. When it's gone they start the process over with the next lot. Powder burn rate for the boxcars is probably similar, but density could vary. Therefore the load weights and volumes are different for each powder, but the ammunition performs about the same. Hope this helps.