The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2006, 12:11 PM   #1
sterno

Jacketed vs. Lead projectiles

I know that in a Glock you're not supposed to use solid lead projectiles unless you replace the barrel, but is that true of all handguns? I'm thinking of reloading for my Makarov and was going to use straight lead slugs.

Would that be a problem?
Old March 6, 2006, 12:27 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

Lead's a bit soft. We use an alloy, usually wheel weights. I don't shoot a Mak, but do shoot the very similar .380. It's unlikely that the Mak would pose any special problems. It's relatively low pressure and unlikely to lead unless you have a very rough bore. The available moulds were designed for that cartridge since nothing else I know of has that oddball diameter.

If a Mak ever came my way, I'd find a supply of cases, order the Lee mould, and have at it.
Old March 6, 2006, 03:19 PM   #3
Quantrill

While not having a Glock, I do reload for someone that does. It is my understanding that lead projectiles should not be used in polygonal rifled barrels because of excess and even dangerous leading. Standard rifling (Ballard) does not have such a problem. My friend used 250 rounds at a time before cleaning (Lewis Lead Remover) and never had a problem so I might add that EXCESSIVE use of lead might really be the problem. Quantrill
Old March 6, 2006, 04:53 PM   #4
Leftoverdj

Quantrill, we just fought the Glock war. Let's not fight it again here.