The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 3, 2014, 01:01 PM   #1
mp40

Powder measurers ?

What are the more accurate powder measures for pistol loads? I have been measuring all charges out individually. But is getting very time consuming.
Can anyone give me a idea on what would meter pistol powder most accurately?
I use power pistol and tight group powders
Old January 3, 2014, 01:45 PM   #2
Hammerhead

If you're loading for pistol only, a small rotary measure with a micrometer head should be best.

I use the Redding 10X, kinda spendy, but highly accurate with small charges and the micrometer settings allow you to return to any setting exactly or to predict any powder setting.

RCBS makes a similar unit with a small rotor and micrometer head.
Old January 3, 2014, 04:04 PM   #3
GJSchulze

Accurate metering depends on the powder as well as the meter. Power Pistol meters very well for me. Stick or extruded powders are said to not meter as well because of their shape. The main benefit to a micrometer adjustment on the rotor is to have markings so that you can reproduce your setting. I have a Hornady powder measure and like it. The measures from Dillon and RCBS look to be identical, but I've never seen one closeup.
Old January 3, 2014, 05:33 PM   #4
Hammerhead

Almost any pistol powder will meter well in a good rotary. Titegroup, HS-6, W231/HP38, Universal, Clays, Lil' Gun, SR 4756, SR 7625, N310 all meter within +/- .1 grain for me.

Unique and Trail Boss meter to within +/- .2 grains, still well within tolerances for safety and accuracy.

If you need to save money you can get a good rotory without the micrometer head. Same precision, just a little slower in set up. Just make sure you get a good all-metal one.
Old January 3, 2014, 06:14 PM   #5
Ashbane

I have the Hornady lock n load dispensor that came with the classic kit and I hate it. I've tried everything to get consistent results. Graphite, brake cleaner, one shot dry lube, dryer sheets. .. I have to constantly chase my target drop up and down trying to get within .1gr. And that's with the pistol meter.
Old January 3, 2014, 06:30 PM   #6
LE-28

Ashbane, I had the same problem with mine until I figured out it was a static problem in my room. I can't fix the static problem but I can open the door and let moister air in for an hour or so before I reload. That is with the top off of the powder measure.
Something else that works is heavily drifting in some Static Guard which you can usually steal from your wife. Just don't get caught.

Let it dry and go ahead and setup the measure. It could still take up to 20 charges to get the powder to settle in the measure. This holds true with about all of the measures on the market, and so does the static problems.
My Hornady measure is one of my most accurate measure I have. Hornady, RCBS Uni-flow, and Lee pro-auto disc. My Uni-flow is my worst problem child, it seems to be the most prone to static.

OP, I would have to say the Redding 10x for pistols, to answer your question. I don't own one but all I read is that this measure will even reliably measure Unique to with in .2 of a grain reliably. That's a major feat. The only thing I have that will do that is my Auto-Charge.
By the way if you like loading single stage, check out the Hornady Auto-Charge or the RCBS Charge Master. They both work extremely well. My Auto-Charge is fast enough I usually don't keep up to it.
Old January 3, 2014, 07:24 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

My RCBS Uniflow (or whatever it's called) with the small (pistol) cylinder installed seems to work great. I got it in 1984 and it still works great.

It throws very consistently, even with coarse powders like Unique (never tried the infamous 800X). It brings no headache or frustration to my loading process, and thus, has me completely satisfied.

If I ever need another for some reason, I wouldn't even consider anything else.
Old January 3, 2014, 08:09 PM   #8
Gster

I use Titegroup exclusively for 9mm, .40, and .45. I use a Lee ppm and weigh about every 5 charges or so on a digital and have found it to be very accurate and consistent.
Old January 3, 2014, 10:23 PM   #9
mnoirot64

I have had static issues in my reloading area also. I would always get good consistent results with the Hornady case activated powder drop on most any pistol powder (with the exception of IMR 800-X which I do like in 45 ACP). However, the case activated powder drop does not work well with the magnum rifle powders - ever. I ended up buying the Hornady Auto Charge and have made it part of my process. Once you've gotten used to using it, I do not believe it adds much time. Plus, you receive the benefit of very accurate measurements (+/- .10 of a grain).

Clarksville, Tennessee
Old January 4, 2014, 09:04 PM   #10
krunchnik

I will second the RCBS Uniflow,my first one lasted the better part of 20 years till we moved and sold all my reloading equipment.When I got back into it I rebought the RCBS,pretty good in my book.
Old January 5, 2014, 06:35 PM   #11
leefan

Titegroup measures to the tenth grain reliably in my Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure on a turret press.
Old January 6, 2014, 10:07 AM   #12
David Bachelder

I have owned and used two brands. The RCBS Uniflow and the Hornady LNL. Both worked equally well and I'd recommend either.
Old January 6, 2014, 01:42 PM   #13
Sevens

I have owned (still own) and used three different measures, but I only use one of them now and have zero plans to migrate.

I started with the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. For the extremely low money, this is a very effective tool. Lee has made a place for themselves in the industry by building less expensive equipment with much cheaper materials and for those on a shoe string budget, some of this stuff works awfully well. It's constructed almost entirely of plastic, with some bits of aluminum and it's around $25 IIRC. I used mine for a handful of years with success.

I upgraded to the Hornady measure and spent about $65 on it back in the mid to late 90's. That was a fair expenditure for me, but it was a well-built tool that was (mostly!) enjoyable to use. I found that it wasn't quite as consistent as I had hoped it would be, depending on the powder I was running. At the time, I was also using a cheap digital scale and there were days when my frustration level ran high. The Hornady is a decent measure and I've kept mine for emergencies, but I have no plans to use it again.

Around five years ago (maybe 4?) I picked up a pre-owned but hardly (if at all) used Lyman 55. Packaging indicates this one likely came from the late 80s or early 90s, but the design hasn't changed much over MANY years. I got it for a song and figured it would be well worth the few bucks to check it out.

To this day, I swear that it is -THE- single most important, most loved, and most trusted tool on my load bench. It handles every powder just about as well as I can ask it -- Unique ain't the greatest and IMR-800X doesn't run well, but both of these are known PITA powders. I find that the horizontal drum design rather than a vertical drum just seems to offer a more consistent process for me. With a proper, working, trusted beam scale, I put my Lyman 55 to the test multiple times in every single load session and this little unit simply won't let me down. I have no handloading tools that mean as much to me as this Lyman 55.

That's the good news on the Lyman 55. Now, the bad news. I helped a buddy get in to this hobby and gave him my rundown on the Lyman 55, so he ordered a new one and it was -NOT- a fine working tool and the folks at Lyman weren't all too helpful, either. He made some adjustments himself (he's got the skill & ability to do that) and made it work far better, but had bought for himself a Hornady measure in the mean time, which he trusts completely. He sold off his Lyman 55. Furthermore, we simply don't hear wonderful things from all the Lyman products of recent and we often hear less than wonderful things about their customer service. Frankly, from the things I've picked up, I would be hesitant to suggest a new handloader run out and buy a new Lyman 55.

I tell ya though, the next older one I run in to with a fair price is probably coming home with me. And I don't even think I'll ever need another one.
Old January 6, 2014, 01:57 PM   #14
Jim Watson

The only thing I can recommend is the RCBS Uniflo with small cylinder.

I never got anything worthwhile out of a Lee Perfect, a Redding No 3 with pistol insert wasn't very good (although it is a fine rifle measure and their 10X would be great... at twice the price.) The obsolete Ohaus Duo Measure was only fair.

The fixed charge measures like RCBS Little Dandy, Lee Safety Disk and Auto Disk, the obscure CH, and the obsolete Pacific sound like a good idea, but getting a cavity to throw what you really want is a matter of luck. And they seldom deliver what the chart says, either. And you cannot readily tweak the load a couple of tenths, it is just whatever the next size bushing does.
Old January 6, 2014, 04:35 PM   #15
bedbugbilly

Everyone had their own idea of what is "the best". I don't have a lot of experience as far as powder measures so all I can go on is what experience I have. I'm loading 38s and 9mm - pretty basic stuff. I cast my own. I'm using Lee dies with the lead bullets and am having no problems at all with them (as opposed to what a lot of folks say about using Lees with lead).

I was also measuring each load. I ordered a Lee Perfect Powder Measure and for the powder I'm using (BE) I couldn't be happier. My only experience is with the BE in it though. I'm getting accurate loads that are spot on for the calibers I'm loading. Yea . . they're cheap but it works for me just fine and I don't always associate "color" or "price" with "quality" or what works. I have an adapter for the powder through die (expander) that slips in the top that the Perfect Measure screws on (I bought the adapter off of eBay). It works slick.

YMMV depending upon the powder types you are using . . for me, I'm very happy with it.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 6, 2014, 08:17 PM   #16
wncchester

".. I have to constantly chase my target drop up and down trying to get within .1gr. "

I assume this is from a new guy? Anyway, what's needed is an attitude adjustment, no powder measure is going to be that repeatable.

I started reloading in '65 and haven't weighed handgun charges since '66.
Old January 8, 2014, 04:15 PM   #17
WESHOOT2

down to just nine Dillon measures

I continue to use my Hornady/Pacific powder measure. (I mount it on Lyman flare/powder-drop-through dies.)

I can also recommend measures from Sinclair, Redding, and RCBS.