The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2006, 06:59 PM   #1
jajo63

Velocity on 357 LSWC

I have reloaded my 45 ACP using 230 lead bullets and Bullseye powder with no problem. I tried using it with my 357 using 158gr LSWC, and the accuracy was sub standard. I was told at a local gun shop to use H110. I tried it at its lowest, 13 grains. The accuracy was very good. However I am concerned about the velocity of the bullets leading up my barrel.
Old March 4, 2006, 08:11 PM   #2
918v

It depends on your gun's dimentions and your bullet's hardness, lube, whether it has a gas-check, etc. In an ideal setup, you can shoot lead up to 1500 FPS without leading. In a poor setup, you'll lead-up the bore as slow as 800 FPS.

I suggest you try different primers first, and if that does not work, try a different powder, but not H110, because that will immediately jump your velocity to 1200-1300 FPS and will surely make your cleaning more difficult.
Old March 4, 2006, 09:07 PM   #3
Leftoverdj

Quote:
I tried it at its lowest, 13 grains. The accuracy was very good. However I am concerned about the velocity of the bullets leading up my barrel.
Are you getting leading? Theory is no match for real world results. Some gun/bullet combinations will handle that load without leading, and the only way to find out is to try. That you are getting very good accuracy suggests that you are not getting significant leading.

You are not going to get into any trouble as long as you check the throat and bore every cylinder full. If you can get through a couple of hundred rounds without a buildup, you can relax to checking every box or two.

If you do get visible leading in more than trace amounts, just clean and try another load. An old cleaning brush with a few strands from a copper Chore Boy scouring pad wrapped around will easily clean up light leading.

Leading is not the major problem it is sometimes thought to be. It's just one more thing to keep an eye out for, and easily dealt with.
Old March 4, 2006, 09:28 PM   #4
45-70

Factory Lead

The first .357 I bought, a 99% six-in. Model 19 Smith, I had not bought dies or brass, so bought several different kinds of factory ammo to shoot. I shot several boxes of various jacketed bullets and was pleased at what a tack-driver it was. Then I tried a box of Remington factory .357s, LRN, iirc. The first six were still tack drivers. The next six the group open up a lot, and by round 14, they were keyholing badly! The lead came out in strings when I cleaned it.

Factory lead in .357 seems to be really too soft for .357 velocity. I have tried some commercial lead SWCs in reloads that seem to have the same velocity as the factory stuff, but don't lead much at all. Much harder, apparently, and probably different lube.