The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2013, 10:09 PM   #1
spitznagel

hercules blue dot

Hey all, I've acquired an unopened container of hercules blue dot. From what i've read on the forum, it was called hercules before changing to alliant. I've also read that powder does not go bad over time (if properly stored). My question is, should I be using the same exact load data as for alliant blue dot? Are there any other things I should watch out for?

Thanks
Old February 10, 2013, 12:03 AM   #2
Taroman

I wouldn't start out at a maximum load, but work up to it.
If your old load was well below maximum, then straight substitution should be ok.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old February 10, 2013, 01:03 AM   #3
Marco Califo

Yes it is the exact same powder. Blue Dot is a very slow shotgun powder and has a reputation for burning dirty. It does require a bit of pressure to burn best. In shotguns I used it for 1.5 oz + lead loads. It has uses in handguns and some rifle reduced loads. But most people seem to complain that it is messy/dirty.
Here is a link to some old Hercules pamphlets.
http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Fre.../Alliant95.pdf

As I understand it, the current Alliant online load data has fewer loads than these old freebies did, but the data is the same.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

Last edited by Marco Califo; February 10, 2013 at 03:40 AM.
Old February 10, 2013, 07:44 AM   #4
ballardw

Alliant recommends not using Blue Dot in 41 magnum and with 125 grain bullets in 357.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/getting...y_notices.aspx

Older data will have loads for 41, that's where my last and only Blue Dot went before the safety notice.
Old February 10, 2013, 07:54 AM   #5
JT-AR-MG42

I've shot quite a bit of Blue Dot in 9mm, .357, .44Mag, and 44-40 over the years. Herco is my performance SG powder as I can't handle the magnum shot loads. Too much fun!

Can't say it was the cleanest burning, but it did shoot well in the 44-40 and gave great velocities in the 9mm. No unburnt powder problems with heavy loads shooting standard weight and heavy lead in the magnums.

In my experience, different lot numbers of Blue Dot do have variation. More than any other powder I've worked with.
It is an excellent powder and I'm not trying to scare you off or anything. I just recommend that you work up to your load and that should you decide to buy/order more, that you get it in 8lb. or case lots.

JT
Old February 10, 2013, 10:03 AM   #6
AL45

I've used it in a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt and found it to be pretty dirty.