The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 28, 2009, 10:50 PM   #1
troy_mclure

multiple gun ccw ???

i now have a second gun i can carry for ccw.

i dont mean cary both at once, but carry the newer(smaller) gun when clothing dictates.

i have carried an xd40sc SOB for years, now i have a kel tec p32 i plan on carrying in my back pocket.

i am carrying both currently to get used to the feel of the kel tec.

i am still not very accurate with it(new kind of sights), but im shooting as much as i can(range ammo for it is hard to find here).

how long did it take you to get comfortable with your new gun before you switched over?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old April 29, 2009, 12:14 AM   #2
hightower

for me its usually about 300 rounds and an hour or two infront of the mirror fiddling with holsters.

it's probably a bad thing but i have 5 guns i carry, but regularly 3 and the other 2 on special occasions....

its really all in the holster/attire interaction.......man i sound like my girlfriend
Old April 29, 2009, 02:49 AM   #3
Conan1

I'm always packing my Ruger LCP now and sometimes my S&W Sigma .40 at the same time.Thinking about getting a para-ordance. I understand their excellent guns but a little expensive. OH Well.
Old April 29, 2009, 06:30 AM   #4
Keltyke

I just bought an XD9 sub compact. How did you like yours? Any problems with it?
Old April 29, 2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Housezealot

I have a keltec p3at and I never could get used to the sights, I blamed the gun untill I saw my dad shoot the best group I have ever seen come out of a pocket pistol, I found two things really helped, a $12 mag extension (did not affect printing under my clothing at all) that really helped me becuse with only one finger wrapped around the grip I was really jerking the trigger.
secondly, and this is kind of expensive, and only does any good when its not real bright out, I bought a crimson trace for $179. as I have stated on these forums before, I had buyers remorse about the laser untill I got a change to try it, It turned my "gut gun" into something I can actually aim (or point I guess), I don't know if I am just horrible with them or if they suck but the sights on the kel tec don't work for me.
Old April 29, 2009, 06:05 PM   #6
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
i am carrying both currently to get used to the feel of the kel tec.
I do that all the time.

The P32 may be a BUG to me, but it is ALWAYS there, even when my primary isn't.
Old April 29, 2009, 07:12 PM   #7
riggins_83

Every time I consider carrying something other than my Kimber Pro Carry II the gorgeous look and feel of the pistol talk me out of it. I like to stay with 1911's in general because I'm a better shot with them and they feel better than Glocks/etc.
Old April 29, 2009, 10:29 PM   #8
Old Wanderer

My primary carry gun is a Kimber Ultra Crimson trace. I have carried 1911 for many years, and that is where my comfort zone is. Confidence in your weapon is paramount in any serious social occasion.

However way back in the 70's there was a little deriger made called a COP (Concealed Off-duty Protection). It is a Stainless Steel 4 barrel 357. When ever I have a situation where a normal carry gun will not work (because of needing to remove my jacket, using a swim suit, etc) the COP can always be tucked out of sight. I train with it a 10' reaction shooting.

(The right tool for the right time). I see them on GB but a whole lot of money now...(Must get a trigger job on one also).
Old April 30, 2009, 10:38 AM   #9
SquidWarrior

I live in Virginia where open carry is 100% legal; I am with guns how my wife is with her hand bags. When I dress nice, I will carry my Commander with (fake)ivory grips. For the most part, I only carry 1911s, so there is not much difference for me.