The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 16, 2011, 09:35 PM   #1
howiej52

1917 Enfield 1 piece Scope Mount

There are four contours the 1917 Endfield rear recievers were normally ground to.

1) Enfield Flat
2) 30 Remington
3) 700 Remington
4) Model 70 Winchester

I have seen pictures of 1917 Enfields with 1 piece scope mounts. Conetrol makes 1 piece mounts for the 30 Remington, and model 70 Winchester style rear recievers. The thing is you also have to use their rings.
My question is: If the reciever was ground for 700 remington or model 70 Winchester, can a Leupold 1 piece mount be used? Maybe one of the long action mounts? I have been collecting, and building [with the help of a gunsmith] custom 1917 Enfields for a while. I have a Beautiful Winchester 1917 with the rear reciever ground the same as the front, and still has the bath tub recess. I have learned that a tight fitting grade 8 plug needs to be installed and tig welded in.
Can it still be ground for a 1 piece mount? It has a Lyman peep sight on it now. My eye sight isn't what it used to be. This is to nice of a custom to let go. Ahlmans and McGowens list that they grind the reciever. Ahlmans, list that they plug the recess. I got it for a good price, so I am willing to spend a little money on it. I have read a lot of info on a lot of forums, about what scope mounts to use on these. I hate to use weaver 2 piece mounts on a full custom rifle. Warne,and Conetrol make a nice set of 2 piece mounts for these if anyone has decided to go that route. With Warne mounts you don't need special rings.
If we can come up with the answer once and for all, it will make a lot of Enfield owners very happy.
This is one of my custom Enfields.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg howiebd banner.jpg (54.2 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by howiej52; December 16, 2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: add photo

Tags
1917 enfield , bath tub recess , conetrol , leupold , scope mount