The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 19, 2007, 02:50 PM   #1
rcupka

New Trap shooter - advice needed

I have been shooting rifles and handguns for years, but had never been into shotguns. I recently was offered a Remington 1100 at a very good price and bought it. That spurred me into trying the trap range at the club where I shoot, and I must say that from the very first round I was hooked.

I picked up some additional items like a shell catcher, and the belt holder for a box of ammo and the hulls. And this past weekend shot a second time and plan to go again tomorrow. Right now I am usually only hitting 18 or 19 targets per round, being a patient guy I know that it will improve with lots of practice.

My question is that I am looking for information including visuals on proper sight picture, target lead, shot patterns, etc.... I have been reading some of the entries in this forum, by starting with the first thread and working forward, and I must say that prior to reading the threads I had never thought of the shot pattern as 3D or a hose, that was a great "Eye Opener". But I also would like to know if you guys have any other favorite websites that you find useful.

My 1100 has a 28" barrel with full choke, From what I gather from various threads that is probably "okay" for now, because a purpose built trap gun is not in the cards for me right now.

If you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Dick Cupka
Old January 19, 2007, 04:39 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First, welcome to the wonderful world of clayslaying....

Leo Harrison III, who has more than one 500X500 straight in the record books, has used 1100s to do so. The 1100 combines soft recoil, reliable performance and good pointability. It will carry you as far as YOU can go.

You may want other shotguns later one, but you do have the bases covered now.

Jerry Meyer's Clay Target Handbook has overviews of all the clay games, including trap singles,doubles and handicap.

As for equipment, you need a couple choke tubes and lots of ammo.

Enjoy....
Old January 19, 2007, 06:54 PM   #3
skeeter1

If you're doing 20+ per round with your 1100, then you're doing just fine. I got hooked on trap shooting many years ago, and eventually you're going to want to upgrade to nice double-gun. They're far from cheap, but probably worth it in the long run. The most important thing is just to have fun!
Old January 21, 2007, 08:47 PM   #4
Ruger4570

D. Lee Braun won many Trap and Skeet championships with an 1100. He put out some books seceral years ago and you might find them at you Library or you can buy them on line. There are also many Videos out there addressing how to shoot. Good luck and 19-20 is just fine for a newbie.
Old January 21, 2007, 10:39 PM   #5
rcupka

Thanks guys for the advice, I will look up those references. Shot again today with about the same results, but I am working on my swing/follow through, and feeling smoother. I wish I had started this years ago!

Dick Cupka
Old January 22, 2007, 12:14 AM   #6
Ruger4570

Best of luck,, get those 25's then the "slump" that invariably follows and go nutz trying to figure it out,, welcome to the game..
Old January 22, 2007, 03:27 PM   #7
skeeter1

Quote:
Best of luck,, get those 25's then the "slump" that invariably follows and go nutz trying to figure it out,, welcome to the game..
Yep, you'll have ups and downs, but the first time the range master stamps your score sheet with "25", you'll be grinning all the way home. I know I was!