The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 26, 2000, 06:43 PM   #1
rr41mag

Today at the range I decided to pop a few .45's and the hammer would not stay back on my Llama. Everything was consistent. If I cocked it or pulled the slide all the way back it was ok. After ever shot it was not cocked. The loads were 230 gr with 6 grns of unique. Was the loads too light?

------------------
A son is the best friend you'll ever have!
Old October 27, 2000, 05:42 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

rr41mag, I don't think the load it too light but I don't know how strong your recoil spring is. The pistol sounds like it's short cycling for sure. But it might also be the sear spring. Try some factory ammo before loading any heavier and you might also try bending the sear (left) leg of the sear spring inward a little. George
Old October 27, 2000, 12:42 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

A friend had a similar problem with a Llama. His trigger pull was very light and the hammer would not stay cocked if he dropped the slide. I found that the full cock notch was just about wiped off the hammer, even though he had bought the gun new (or at least it was sold as new). The hammer did not appear to be properly hardened and there were file marks on it and on the sear.

Jim
Old October 29, 2000, 02:08 PM   #4
old hawk

check out my Llama site for some help with it. i think maybe just cleaning some stuff out of the sear notch might help and adjusting the tension on the leaf spring will help it, the only other thing i can think of is a worn face on the sear or notch.those loads shouldve been doing ok i think but just in case try the above though. http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2997/llama.html

[This message has been edited by old hawk (edited October 29, 2000).]