The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 11, 2016, 02:54 PM   #1
AZGlock13

M&P45c vs M&P45 Shield

I have been looking at both lately for another carry pistol. I would strictly be carrying either one IWB (3 o'clock). Was wondering if any on the board own or have had any experience handling both pistols. Are the triggers (feel and pull) about the same on the two. Obviously, the M&P45c is longer slide wise, a tad thicker, and carries two more rounds, but other than that, does one shoot and feel better than the other. I found a M&P45 Shield locally ($410 before tax), but not a M&P45c yet, so I can't do a side by side comparison. Thanks for any input.

AZGlock13
Old November 11, 2016, 08:19 PM   #2
Uncle Malice

I have had the Shield 9, but not the 45. I have had the M&P 45 C.

While they are somewhat similar, they are quiet different when actually placed in the hand. The 45C is a really sweet gun, but it's about the size of the Glock 19. The Shield is going to be significantly smaller and lighter to carry at the expense of shootability.

The bonus for the 45C is that you can use the larger 10rd and 14rd magazines as spares where you can not do this with the Shield.

They are both good guns, but I think you'll need to decide which style you favor. Perhaps both would be a good option down the road. 45C for daily carry and Shield for those times when you need to go a little bit lighter.
Old November 12, 2016, 11:20 AM   #3
AZGlock13

I think I'm leaning more towards the larger M&P45c. I currently have a M&P Shield 9 that I pocket carry some. I think the compact duty staggered stack sized M&P (in .45) is what I'm really looking for. I used to own a M&P40c at one time, it was about just right for IWB carry (IMHO). Thanks for the input Uncle Malice.
Old November 12, 2016, 12:38 PM   #4
dewcrew8

45c

I carry it all the time,with the 10rd mag . the smaller mag for me doesn't work well. my large hands make my pinkie finger ride under the mag so I don't use them.
Old November 12, 2016, 06:19 PM   #5
DHart

AZ... I think you're making the right choice. With very small single-stack pistols, 9mm makes the most sense. The smaller and thinner the pistol, the more difficult it is to control, the more capacity that is lost, and the more velocity that is lost. So, 9mm is the right choice for a Shield - and you already have one!

The M&P45C is a bit larger, but still relatively compact. The flexibility to use much higher capacity mags is there, the weight and fuller grip-size help control and speed return-to-target, and the pistol is a pleasure to practice with at the range - for extended shooting sessions.

I think the M&P45C will be a perfect compliment to your 9mm Shield.

You may wish to install an Apex sear and striker block to make the trigger pull sweetly superb, but I would resist any temptation to buy a complete trigger replacement "kit" as I don't think they are needed at all with this gun.
Old November 12, 2016, 09:25 PM   #6
Texas45

M&P45c vs M&P45 Shield

The 45C isnt that much larger when laid side by side a small bit wider and slightly longer barrel. Shot side by side very close in feel. I daily a 45 shield and prior to its release carried a 40 shield. My 45 shield is a softer shooter than the 40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 13, 2016, 10:39 PM   #7
wizard1911

M&P Shield 45

I bought one last Friday, the 11th. On my first range trip, I fired the following: 230 gn FMJ Federal, hand loads in 230 gn FMJ and 185 gn JHP, both from Magnus Bullets, and 185 gn LSWC coated from Missouri Bullets. My last two mags were Hornady Critical Duty. No malfunctions and good accuracy. Recoil was a little less than I expected but the grip texture is a little too aggressive if you're firing 100 rounds or so. I've already ordered a set of Talon grips as well as a holster from Hidden Hybrid, my third from them. I got the model with the thumb safety since that is what I am accustomed to. It appears to be an excellent gun.