The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 24, 2012, 09:23 PM   #1
FFournier

What's my Browning BPS worth?

Guys, I need to sell my Browning Special Steel BPS 2 3/4-3in. 30 inch barrel fixed full choke 12 gauge. It also has the single/repeating fire option. I have not found much to go on as far as pricing this gun. It is in excellent shape with just a few small scratches on the stock. The bluing on it I would say is at least at 95%. I'd put the gun overall at about 97 or 98. There is absolutely no rust anywhere, and the action is perfect. Any suggestions as to what price range I should list it for would be greatly appreciated.

Old October 25, 2012, 08:12 AM   #2
PetahW

I would think of it as strictly a waterfowl/turkey gun, and think it would be best to market it to folks interested in it for those uses.

Rather than just "listing it" somewhere, and hoping for the best (and maybe not selling), I would take several good/clear pics of the gun, and place it in a 7-day online gun auction (like gunbroker.com), along with a very complete description 7 disclosure of any known defects.

It's true value will be what an interested party will actually pay for it, now.

(It perfectly legal under Federal Law for you to send your shotgun to ANY FFL, anywhere - so just have the buyer send a copy with the funds before mailing it USPS Priority Mail)

Old October 25, 2012, 12:05 PM   #3
dgludwig

I haven't kept up on the prices but I paid $399.88 for a nib BPS in Dura-coat camo finish from a Bass Pro Shop, five years ago (2007). I'd start looking at the various on-line gun auction sites to get an idea as to what they are going for today, in the condition you describe.
Old October 25, 2012, 01:33 PM   #4
BigJimP

Your gun is an older version of the current BPS Hunter model ...

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=012&tid=211

The current model lists for $ 660 and it comes with 3 screw in Invector Plus chokes ...making it a lot more versatile / and its selling new in my area for around $ 600.

But your gun has a fixed choke barrel in it ....and it will cost you more to replace the barrel ( around $300 ) or if you have screw in chokes cut into the barrel ( $ 200 at least ) than you'll get out of it.
-----------------
In its current condition ...Full choke...I think you'll be lucky to get $250 for it.

I would suggest you shop around for another used BPS ...maybe one where the stock is all beat up ...and consider buying it just for the barrel ( make sure it fits your gun first ) but I'll be surprised if it doesn't. Maybe even do a search for a used barrel with either the older Invecotor chokes in it ...or the newer barrels with the invector plus in it....and then either keep it / or sell the gun with both barrels. It'll depend on how good a deal you can find on a used barrel...

But with new guns selling for $ 600....it'll be hard to get more than $ 450 for any used BPS even if it has Invector or Invector Plus chokes in it ...but it'll be easy and quick to sell if it has the screw in chokes in it.
Old October 25, 2012, 03:01 PM   #5
Pahoo

Great Shotgun

BigJimP, is on to something and I always look at a range on value. I'd say $300.00 to $350.00. Might add that in my opinion, it's one of the finest waterfowel shotguns out there. Another plus is the S&R selector and know a guy that uses his for trap shooting. I had a choked Stalker that was 98% and sold it for $450.00. I still have an older one like yours but not in as good of shape. I would not take less that $250.00. ..

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old October 25, 2012, 03:58 PM   #6
BigJimP

Pahoo ....and I largely agree on your question....
------------
But if I were going to shoot Trap with a BPS....I'd buy the BPS Trap version...with a 30" barrel, Invector Plus choke system in it, Monte Carlo stock....( maybe have someone cut an adj comb in it ) ...and it has the magazine cut off in it as well...

and you can buy them new for right around $ 700...( a buddy just bought one about 6 months ago new in box ).

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=012&tid=242

It has an embellished receiver on it as well...not that, that feature makes any difference....but when you're selling a gun / you have to know what's competing against you out there - as the new version.
-------------
But what is killing your value for me ...is the fixed choke ...

Personally for 16 Yard Trap Singles...I shoot a Modified choke with 1 oz of 8's...and even if I move back to the 25 - 27 yd line, I only increase the choke to an Improved Modified...never a Full choke.

I agree with Pahoo on how you should market it ...as a good Trap gun / especially for a shooter that wants a good entry level inexpensive gun.../ waterfowlers that are shooting Steel shot ...can't go tighter than a Modified choke without risking buldging that barrel. There are alternatives to Steel shot now ...so it can be used for waterfowling...but you might hear that objection as well from Waterfowlers.

But I'm just not a guy that needs a Full choke very often - in any of my guns ....for clays or birds..../ but good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old October 25, 2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Pahoo

It is what it is !!!

Quote:
Pahoo ....and I largely agree on your question....
I went back and read my reply and did not see a question. ....
I guess the bottom line, is that this BPS is a quality shotgun and has value. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old October 26, 2012, 11:04 AM   #8
BigJimP

I was just discussing his question of value...( and wandered down the path a little ) ...sorry...
Old October 26, 2012, 03:29 PM   #9
TheKlawMan

BigJim, Per some of the workers at the local range there was a problem with several Browning BPS they bought for rentals that Browning has now corrected. It had to do with the metal being too brittle. I don't know just which years of manufacture this covers but it would have been in the last few years; not the OP's.
Old October 26, 2012, 04:30 PM   #10
BigJimP

I've never heard that Klawman....but good to know / yet, in my experience, Browning has been very good on any warranty issues that come up - but in general, I think its fair to say that most guys that I know shooting Browning Shotguns - have had very few, if any, issues with their guns.
Old October 26, 2012, 05:12 PM   #11
Hansam

Nice shotgun. Everything I've read says that in very good condition to excellent condition it should be worth at least $300 and at most $400 but depending on your market you could get more than that.
Old October 26, 2012, 07:10 PM   #12
TheKlawMan

The guys at the range also said that; that Browning realized they had a problem with guns manufactured in a certain period and have been good about taking care of them under warranty.