The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 16, 2010, 12:51 PM   #1
longranger

Buffalo Hunt

Wyoming has just finished up their drawing process for all big game species.I received my whitetail buck(03) permit and my General license for Mule deer.I had also applied for a Buffalo hunt in the National Elk Refuge and had been advised about a month ago,I was in the running for a Buffalo permit.Didn't hear anything even after recieving my other permits.
Open my mail box this moring and Oh My God, permit packet from Wyoming Dept. Fish and Game for a Buffalo in the N.E.F. at the base of the Tetons.The hunt will take place Oct 30th-15 Nov.
I will not be using any type of whiz bang rifle,I will be using my trusty 1874 Shilo Sharps in 40-70 Sharps Straight with a 360gr. Paper Patched bullet and a case full of Swiss 1.5 black powder.I will keep my shots < 200 yds. Rifle is equipt with a very good barrel sight and a soule sight if needed.
I'm thinkin' that I do not want to shoot the biggest thing out there,these are huge animals, I will be very happy with a younger bull.
Jazzed to say the least.
Old July 16, 2010, 01:25 PM   #2
grubbylabs

I wish I could put in for a archery buffalo hunt. Good luck and I hope it is as fun as it sounds.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old July 16, 2010, 02:14 PM   #3

That sounds very "traditional old west" and way cool. Good luck and don't forget to post the pictures and story when you get done.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old July 16, 2010, 02:23 PM   #4
taylorce1

Quote:
I will be using my trusty 1874 Shilo Sharps in 40-70 Sharps Straight with a 360gr. Paper Patched bullet and a case full of Swiss 1.5 black powder.I will keep my shots < 200 yds. Rifle is equipt with a very good barrel sight and a soule sight if needed.

Lucky Dog! Had a buddy hunt bison in the Henry Mountains of UT a couple of years ago but he didn't fill his tag. Said it was tougher than any elk hunt and those bison were truly wild and skittish. Good luck and take some pictures of a dead bison when you get it.
Old July 16, 2010, 03:15 PM   #5
moosemike

Sounds like an exciting hunt. Bison is the best meat I've ever eaten.
Old July 16, 2010, 05:24 PM   #6
longranger

This would be in my top 3 hunts of a lifetime,in particular with the location.The Tetons are probably the most under appreciated mountains in the west with Yellowstone just north.The National Elk Refuge lies at the base of the Tetons,spectacular in fall. The information packet sent to me indictaes there are 900 Buffalo in N.E.R. they want to take out 400 it's going to look like the 1800's with dead Buffalo all over.The seasons are going from 1 Sept through 1Jan11.
I have spent the past 5 years perfecting and shooting my Sharps rifle,It is a goofy cartridge(40-70 SS) but very capable of fine accuracy.
I have my son and his best friend/my adopted son going with me.
Life is better than I could have scripted my self.
I plan on lots of pictures,this is a once in a lifetime tag to hunt wild Buffalo in the Tetons.
Old July 16, 2010, 09:19 PM   #7
grubbylabs

Again I am very jealous. I know just how beautiful it is, my wife's mother grew up in Teton Valley Idaho.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old July 16, 2010, 09:31 PM   #8
longranger

GL,

I think that is one of the most beautiful views of the Tetons is from anywhere in eastern Idaho.Magnificent mountains poking out of the sage plains. I am a little spoiled in Wyoming,having to look at them Big Horn Mtns everyday, it's tough.
My favorite place in Idaho is the Massacre Rocks area,most beautiful sage and volcanic rock that was blown out of Yellowstone, amazing place.
Old July 17, 2010, 07:45 AM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I will be using my trusty 1874 Shilo Sharps in 40-70 Sharps Straight with a 360gr.
That is awesome. I'd love to hunt buffalo and its a dream of mine that will likely never happen. However, if it ever did, I like your choice of firearms. I don't have any thing that like that, but I would certainly use my 45-70 Gov't Ruger No. 1.

Please post after your hunt. Take lots of pictures and good luck.
Old July 17, 2010, 07:51 PM   #10
troy_mclure

its in my hunting list.

id be using an encore in .45/70 tho.

good luck, and have a great time!
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old July 18, 2010, 06:33 PM   #11
shafter

Awesome weapon choice! Now you got to get the clothes to go with it