The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old June 21, 2000, 02:46 PM   #1
FUD

I've been having this problem ever since General went down and came back up again. I'm not sure if I can describe it properly so let me list the sets:<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> In one of the sub-forums I see that a trend was updated at 3:22
<LI> I go inside to look at it but notice that the time of the last post was 3:08
<LI> I do a "Refresh" and it still shows 3:08
<LI> I leave and come back and now I see 2:49 as the last post (a few post disappeared).
<LI> I do another refresh and then I see everything to the 3:22 post like it should be.</UL> Anyone else have this problem? I'm sure that it's on my end but in the past ONE refresh took care of the problem -- now I'm doing half a dozen refreshes in order to get things right. I didn't change any software on my machine and I haven't been playing with any of the setting (honest).
Share what you know, learn what you don't -- FUD
Old June 21, 2000, 04:31 PM   #2
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

No problems here. Try clearing your cache and rebooting (yes, I know...)

I didn't change any software on my machine and I haven't been playing with any of the setting (honest).

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that...

Old June 21, 2000, 04:52 PM   #3
FUD

This has been going on for about two weeks now and I power down ever night ... Okay, I'll reboot again
Old June 21, 2000, 05:30 PM   #4
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Hmrph. Weird... anyone else have ideas?
Old June 21, 2000, 05:31 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Now that's weird. The weirdest part is that you lose posts instead of the page not refreshing.

If using IE, you might give this a try -
Select Tools menu
.Internet Options
..General
...Temp. Internet files
....Settings
.....Check for new pages
......Every visit

If using Netscape, I'm sure there is an equivalent setting.

If this is already set, then I dunno.
Old June 21, 2000, 06:08 PM   #6
Bud Helms

Communicator 4.7

.Edit
..Preferences
...Advanced
....Cache
.....(document in cache is compared to documenton network) -&gt; Every Time

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited June 21, 2000).]
Old June 21, 2000, 08:23 PM   #7
FUD

Base on everyone's input and a little experimenting on my own, I figured out what is going on ... if you're running NT and you shutdown by hitting the power button instead of doing a graceful shutdown with the "Start" button, IE will restore it's default settings when it comes back up again -- it wasn't refreshing the page after each visit but once per session.<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> I set it, did a graceful shutdown and the settings remained.
<LI> I did an ungraceful shutdown and the default settings were restored.
<LI> Did another graceful shutdown, the default settings still remained.
<LI> Changed the settings and did a graceful shutdown and when I came back up, the changed settings remained.</UL>Thus, my conclusion, if you do an ungraceful shutdown, IE reverts to its default settings. Thanks to everyone who offered advise as I wouldn't have been able to figure it out on my own since I've been struggling with this for about 2 weeks now.
Old June 22, 2000, 10:33 AM   #8
CindyH

All shutdowns of NT are ungraceful, one just takes longer than the other.
Old June 22, 2000, 12:04 PM   #9
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

FUD, you're damned lucky you haven't had to completely FFR your machine.

Here's a tip for all y'all from yer Uncle Fitz: Shutting down a computer by just killing the power is like stopping your car by driving it into a brick wall.

Sysadmin rant off. Mutter, grumble...
Old June 22, 2000, 12:36 PM   #10
FUD

Coinneach, sometimes the whole machines freezes and all the &lt;ctrl&gt;-&lt;alt&gt;-&lt;del&gt;'s in the world doesn't bring it back. However, now that I have that problem cleared up, I've noticed that when I enter the main forum page (not the sub-forums like general, legal, etc. but the main forum page), I see the latest posts being from April 10! The sub-forums are okay.

I suspect that I've got major problems here.
Old June 22, 2000, 12:56 PM   #11
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Yeah, sometimes (often) NT and 9x decide to go to the Bahamas. In that case, a cold boot is all you can do (and then grit your teeth when Scandisk runs automatically and yells at you to always shut down normally). HOWEVER, too many people seem to think that just killing the power is the way to do it. I've had to rebuild soooo many machines for these users...

Ahem. Sorry for the sysadmin ranting.

Have you tried deleting your TFL cookie and resetting it?
Old June 22, 2000, 04:13 PM   #12
FUD

I went into DOS and did a DEL *.* which got rid of a lot of stuff. Was there another way to delete my cookies? (I wasn't really hungry)

[This message has been edited by FUD (edited June 22, 2000).]
Old June 22, 2000, 04:23 PM   #13
FUD

I deleted all of my HISTORY, COOKIEs, Temp INTERNET files, SUBSCRIPTIONS and rebooted the machine and I still see 4/10 as the date in the main forum with 5100 members. Once I get into the sub-forums, everything is working fine.
Old June 22, 2000, 04:27 PM   #14
Mal H
Staff

FUD, if you haven't done so, go to the TFL preferences (right up there ^ a few inches) and click where it says "Click here to delete all cookies set by this forum".
Old June 22, 2000, 04:45 PM   #15
FUD

YES! Clicking on Preferences work. I now see 6/22 and 5900+ members -- Thanks, this was driving me crazy (I rushed my boss off the phone because I told him that I was working on a major problem and he commented on how glad he was that I was on the ball with things).
Old June 22, 2000, 05:17 PM   #16
Bud Helms

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited June 22, 2000).]
Old June 22, 2000, 05:19 PM   #17
Bud Helms

Let's see if I have this right, the honorable FUD, our brother in the Second, is running an NT machine, but goes to DOS to delete cookies with DEL *.* ("Thank God I was in the right DIR.") and shuts down/reboots with the power switch. And your boss is grateful that you're on top of things. That about cover it?

What we have here looks to be an NT user that never used Win 98, Win 95 or Win 3.1x. How did that happen? Isn't that impossible? I mean, that's not really possible is it? Somebody answer me. Is that possible? Nah, it ain't possible.

FUD. You da MAN! I wish I had my boss that well trained. You are destined to be a legend. Da FUD Meister cometh!

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited June 22, 2000).]
Old June 22, 2000, 05:58 PM   #18
Mal H
Staff

(shhh sensop - this is just between you and me, ok? I had those same thoughts, but let's not let FUD hear us. BRS on NT, oooh, bad.)
Old June 22, 2000, 05:58 PM   #19
FUD

sensop, thank you (I think). Actual, I'm a UNIX Guru and I know very little about PCs (NT or Windows) except the basics -- I use them for e-mail, the internet (coming to TFL), and WORD & POWERPOINT for reports & presentations; and as a dumb terminal to connect to our UNIX production machines.

As for having "the boss well trained", let's just say that a few years ago I found a way that he could reduce his operating budget by more than half and at the same time increase his productivity several times over (and I did this because I didn't want to work on an assignment that he had given me). I haven't done anything really impressive since then (although I'd like to think that I still earn my paycheck) but he still pretty much let's me do whatever I want, under the assumption that I'm working on something equally important.

[This message has been edited by FUD (edited June 22, 2000).]
Old June 23, 2000, 11:14 AM   #20
Bud Helms

UNIX. Ah. FUD. Yes.

Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. FUD. The Microsoft answer to Linux.