The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old December 16, 2002, 02:55 PM   #1
Cowdogpete

For those that have their own range

I have my own range. I have spent a lot of time and little money getting it into its present condition.

I have multiple ranges for handguns and rifles as well as trap. Multiple benches. A "doghouse" for supplies. Multiple target stands, both permanent and mobile for setting up different scenarios. Some steel targets I built myself. Etc.

For those that have their own range: What have you done that you are particularly proud of? (I'm fishing for ideas here...)

What do yo shoot? Steel? Paper? Other? How is it arranged? What is the best thing you've done to your range? What would you like to do?

ANy and all imput would help.

Thanks.
Old December 16, 2002, 08:25 PM   #2
ballistic

Well, I ...uh, put a couple of target frames up in front of a dirt berm, but I don't think I put as much work into mine as you have...

Oh, wait! I have a portable table/storage rack/benchrest that I take with me. I call it, um, a "truck"...

Seriously, I haven't put much effort into it, but that's because I mainly shoot pistols. Were I a serious rifle shooter, I'd rather have a good setup with my chrono, a solid benchrest, etc. For practicing close-quarters shootin' with a handgun, though, less is more.
Old December 17, 2002, 08:38 AM   #3
yesterdaysyouth

well i set a pallet in front of a roll bale and stapled some paper targets on it....

this is my what im proud of part....
yesterday i found some glass jars, a book, a baby doll, and a weedeater

the jars didn't last very long, but the holes in the wet book looked cool... the babydoll and weedeater were the best, the weedeater took a clip of .40 before i couldn't tell what it was, the baby doll took 4 clips and i can still make out the arms....

i used an old weight bench with a 2x4 across the bar supports, this worked very well as a rest, although the fun starts when you run up on the target, roll and shoot....

living out in the middle of nowhere is nice if you wanna get silly....
Old December 17, 2002, 10:58 AM   #4
Coronach

Where do you find a clip-fed .40?

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old December 17, 2002, 04:26 PM   #5
DMK

Cheap, Convenient Target Stands:

Take two or more wooden 2x2 posts about 3 or more feet long and cut one end at an angle to make a spike.

Drive them in the ground next to each other about two or three feet apart. They need to go into the dirt at least a foot or two.

Wrap chicken wire around them so it covers the space between them. You could staple it to the posts for extra strength, but I found that not to be necessary.

Use clothes pins to hold targets to the chicken wire at four corners. It has to get pretty darn windy to blow the targets around!

This idea could be improvised to make mobile target stands by nailing the posts to a large wooden base from underneath. The base would have to be large enough that wind wouldn't blow it over.
Old December 18, 2002, 07:05 AM   #6
Cowdogpete

DMK

THAT, is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Thanks