The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 18, 2013, 05:29 PM   #26
dayman

The world hasn't gone mad (or, no more so than usual), but the gun owning community has a little bit.
The fact that we're all rushing to buy everything we can has kept the supply down and the demand up. Business owners that can mark their stock up accordingly would be foolish not to - that's how capitalism works.
They're making as much - or more - ammo now as they were a few months ago, but instead of just buying what we need now we're all trying to stockpile. I for one have actually bought far more ammo this year than I usually would have - despite the "shortage".

If we want the prices to come back down we all need to stop buying so much.

I'll stop as soon as everyone else does
Old March 18, 2013, 05:48 PM   #27
El Bango

It's nothing new,just supply and demand and the longer the buying frenzy continues the higher the prices will become.When the frenzy finally ends the ammo companies and unscrupulous retailers will be accustomed to higher profits and prices will NEVER be reasonable again.All part of the plan and most of us are blindly being led into eventual confiscation and eventually slavery.Sad when you think about it.
Old March 18, 2013, 06:18 PM   #28
bedlamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bango
It's nothing new,just supply and demand and the longer the buying frenzy continues the higher the prices will become.When the frenzy finally ends the ammo companies and unscrupulous retailers will be accustomed to higher profits and prices will NEVER be reasonable again.All part of the plan and most of us are blindly being led into eventual confiscation and eventually slavery.Sad when you think about it.
That's the beauty of the free market. A high profit margin will bring in more dealers, more competition will bring prices back down. Just gotta give them time to catch up.
Old March 18, 2013, 06:20 PM   #29
serf 'rett

The Panic of '08 hit .22 rimfire in our area. They lasted slightly longer than the 380, 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, 38 spl, etc. but then There Were None. Never saw the prices return to the $10-$12 per 550 count bulk pack.

There's the old saying that, "All things come to those who wait."

I guess the sage was in the know on when the .22 ammo shipments would arrive at Wally World and was waiting at the gun counter.
Old March 18, 2013, 06:38 PM   #30
LewSchiller

.38 Special is still reasonable. $18.99 / 50 for Federal
$106/300 for commercial reload.
Not dirt cheap but not crazy.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:06 PM   #31
shurshot

I stocked up on rimfire ammo decades ago (and keep at least 5,000+ rounds in storage), and just cycle the old stuff as I buy new. I even have old Remington and Herters .22's that Grandfather bought back in the 50's & 60's that still shoots fine.
Don't buy the stuff at top dollar, because as previously mentioned, the prices WILL come back down, they always do. And when they drop, then stock up, as you can, a brick or two here and there.
I'm stocking up on strings, broadheads and arrows now, before they start talking about outlawing my recurve bows, LOL!!!!
Old March 18, 2013, 07:38 PM   #32
jetboater

Note the bulk Federal 22lr at 325 rounds for $169.99 at that same website-- that's over 52 cents a round!!!

http://alamoammo.com/rifle-ammo/22-l...c-029465057350

Think I paid $18 for a box of it in January
Old March 18, 2013, 07:58 PM   #33
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurshot
I stocked up on rimfire ammo decades ago
Likewise, I stocked up on my favorite .22 ammo before this panic. My problem after the last panic buy wasn't getting .22 ammo, but getting the type of ammo I like. (Wolf MT) Luckily, I now have at least four bricks of this ammo to get me through this, and if I really get desperate, there's that brick of Remington Thunderbolts that came along with that .22 rifle that came from my wife's dad's estate.
Old March 18, 2013, 08:33 PM   #34
stu925

I was prepared for the shortage following the election, had some ammo and components set aside specifically to weather that storm. I was not however prepared for the enormity of the current shortage following the Newtown shooting and ensuing gun grabbing attempts. I have never seen anything like this. Even bullet supplies have been wiped out at the online retailers. I've been buying what I can but will not pay over inflated prices. I have about 1100 .22lr rounds on hand which I figured would get me through the shortage but now I find myself wondering if it'll last until ammo is available. I can still load for my centerfire rifles but my handguns are another matter altogether. I had planned to start casting my own bullets but it seems even the bullet molds I wanted are sold out so that will have to wait a bit. I'm all set for casting otherwise, homemade hotplates are built, pot, ladle, and slotted spoon have been acquired so now all I need is the mold and sizer which are both sold out.

For those caught without ammo I will recommend not paying the gougers what they are asking. Keep shopping until you find what you are looking for at a reasonable price. Invest in some snap caps or make your own and do some dry fire practice to keep your skills up. BB guns will also help keep your sight alignment skills sharp until ammo becomes available again. I know it's not quite the same without the loud report or the recoil but it will help keep you sharp until you are able to shoot all you want again.

Stu
Old March 18, 2013, 08:55 PM   #35
B.L.E.

I think some of the ammo shortage is due to the number of new guns sold, you own a new toy, guess what, you want to play with it. It's not all hoarding, some of it's simply due to a lot of people with new guns shooting them at the gun range.
Once a shortage occurs, then the hoarding starts and the shortage sort of takes on a life of its own, like an old fashioned run on a bank or a stock market selling panic.

I know that at the local indoor range, it's hard to get a parking space and there's usually a wait for an available shooting lane.
Old March 18, 2013, 09:33 PM   #36
Crankylove

I haven't bought ammo or components since last November...........and I do not have a large stock on hand. I cut back my shooting trips, and the amount I shoot on those trips to make I have loaded, and the components I have, last for a while. I refuse to pay the rediculous prices sellers want, so I make do with what I have for now............just like I did when the last panic hit.
Old March 18, 2013, 10:05 PM   #37
Sgt127

I have a decent enough reserve of all the popular rounds to not freak out if I want to go shooting. But, not very often. I just don't know when I can replace it...even the lowly .22.

So, I ran by Bass Pro shop the other day and picked up 200 .457 lead balls. A pound of Pyrodex and 200 #11 primers. The Ruger Old Army needs a workout. Doing the math, it works out to a little under $20 bucks for a box of 50. (actually alot cheaper, the powder will last alot longer than 200 rounds...just rounding up one trip)
Old March 20, 2013, 08:20 AM   #38
Skans

Just watch - gun buying will come to a screeching halt until ammo becomes more available. Especially guns where ammo is simply unavailable, like the FN Five-Seven.

GUN BUBBLE
Old March 20, 2013, 11:38 PM   #39
eman

The local gun range is sold out of 9mm & 22s but has a large supply of 45acp.
Old March 21, 2013, 06:55 AM   #40
bedlamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
Just watch - gun buying will come to a screeching halt until ammo becomes more available. Especially guns where ammo is simply unavailable, like the FN Five-Seven.
Sure it's available, you just don't want to know how much

http://alamoammo.com/rifle-ammo/5.7x...c-818513003612
Old March 21, 2013, 07:29 AM   #41
Skans

That is crazy ammo pricing for the Five-Seven - Hmmm, might be able to pick one of these guns up cheap in the coming days???
Old March 22, 2013, 09:57 PM   #42
PT-92

Quote:
Iron Man

Has the world gone mad??...
yes.
Old March 23, 2013, 03:16 PM   #43
wild cat mccane

I would argue that hoarders not selling their cache are crazy. Where can you get double you return with an avg income? nowhere.

Those people are crazy.
Old March 23, 2013, 05:11 PM   #44
Evan Thomas

I've deleted several off-topic posts. We're not talking about the state of the world in general, here.

I wish I had more .22lr...
Old March 23, 2013, 09:55 PM   #45
Jacobie

Its there if you know where to look, I ordered a case of 5.7 last week for $500. Its sceduled to be delivered Monday.
Old March 23, 2013, 10:06 PM   #46
sam colt

I bought all my stuff; another AR, 30 rd mags, ammo for all my guns before the election because I knew the Repubs were disorganized and that, for the most part its very hard to unseat an incumbent. Then of course came the shooting and the threats of an awb and the panic began. I'm flush for the time being, but you never know about tomorrow.
Old March 24, 2013, 06:55 AM   #47
RUT

>>Just watch - gun buying will come to a screeching halt until ammo becomes more available.<<

I agree..........
Old March 24, 2013, 07:10 PM   #48
Colorado Redneck

This from Forbes--Hope it doesn't get deleted

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ralphben...-conversation/

1.6 billion rounds of 5.56 ammo for DHLS? Say what? I don't subscribe to conspiracy stuff, but I would like to know what in tarnation is going on. This can't be helping the average John Q Citizen, and makes me wonder why the government doesn't buy things in an orderly fashion. Eighty million rounds per year makes sense-- 1.6 billion not so much.
Old March 24, 2013, 07:24 PM   #49
PT-92

Colorado Redneck,

It's not just the so called "conspiracy theorists" anymore as the Senate is now demanding explanations for the huge DHS ammo purchase--That's a factual matter of record. Big Sis has until now ducked the question...
Old March 24, 2013, 10:15 PM   #50
NWPilgrim

Has the world gone mad??

I read there is something like 70,000 DHS armed employees not counting Border Patrol. So maybe 100,000 total, max? That would be 16,000 rds per employee or 4,000/yr. for 4 yr contract?

I seriously doubt every single armed employee gets the chance to shoot anywhere 1,000 rds/yr let alone 4,000. Seems like way more being contracted for than they could even hope in their dreams to use for employee training.

And why the stonewalling? If there was no hidden agenda why not just quote previous years usage to establish need?
Closed Thread