The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 9, 2012, 11:01 AM   #1
Idaho Spud

Pietta 1851 Navy London nipples (sorry, a little long)

Received my first BP firearm of any kind yesterday. The first thing I did was remove the wedge and examine it. With the cylinder in my hand I could closely examined the nipples as I want to remove them and put anti-seize on the threads. The nipples on this thing look like they dont have enough enough of a flat sticking up to even get a wrench on. I don't have a nipple wrench yet, this was strictly an examination. My research shows some horror stories about broken or worn wrenches. I'm looking to get a good one the first time, I don't want a "drawer full of nipple wrenches", you know like the proverbial drawer full of holsters? Are these Pietta nipples going to be difficult to remove and what wrench should I get? What is the measurement across the flats on these? I'm not shooting this thing til I find out. Stayed up til 1:30 trying to get an answer.

Thanks.
Old November 9, 2012, 11:48 AM   #2
Fingers McGee

The nipples should come out with little troule. I've found that the Universal nipple wrench from the Possible Shop is the best all round wrench you can buy. It's a little pricey; but you will never break it, even on the toughest most corroded nipple.

http://possibleshop.com/s-s-nipple-w...cbnipplewrench

Colt Universal Nipple wrench is made from carbon steel and has nipple slots of about .196” - .236” and .275”, and screwdriver tip. Combination wrench fits 1851, 1860 and 1858 Cap & Ball Pistol - AMPCO, traditions and Musket Nipples. By Pedesoli.

Description Order No. Price
Universal Nipple Wrench 45-016 $26.95

I've got two of these, the oldest being about 20 years old, one in my shooting box and one on my workbench. At one time or another, I've bent broken or stripped out all the other nipple wrenches you can buy. Even the vaunted Ted Cash ratcheting wrench.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old November 9, 2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Idaho Spud

Thank you, FM, that's the one I was looking at last nite. I hate paying that much, but I figure by the time I get to it, I'll have to pay that much in broken wrenches. That makes the price of this one only half, I guess, after I get it anyway! That's what the little woman said about it, anyway. I'm brand new at this. I didn't get a starter kit, I wanted to get good stuff from the beginning, so any other help is much appreciated.
Old November 9, 2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Doc Hoy

Guys!

...He doesn't want to have a drawer full of nipple wrenches?!

Why should he be any different from the rest of us?

Sorry "Idaho"....I couldn't resist.

No offense intended.
Old November 9, 2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Idaho Spud

Yeah, a drawer full of broken nipple wrenches! haha Think I'll give that Universal wrench a try.
Old November 9, 2012, 06:40 PM   #6
Newton24b

you still want to soak it in penetrating oil for a while before you try to pull those nipples off for the first time.
Old November 9, 2012, 09:53 PM   #7
chaz12

Check out the revolver nipple wrench from RMC.

It fits perfectly on Pietta revolvers and it costs only about 10 bucks I think.

It is hardened steel as well and does not fall apart just from using it. I have been using one for about 6 months and have had no problems with it.

Chaz
Old November 9, 2012, 10:14 PM   #8
TomADC

Try Oil of Wintergreen on the nipples use a Qtip to apply dab to the nipples both on the outside and from the chambers side, doesn't take much and works really fast. Old aircraft mechanics trick.
Old November 9, 2012, 11:52 PM   #9
Idaho Spud

Tom - where might one procure oil of wintergreen? Sounds like good stuff to have around, anyway.

edit: never mind, looks like it is available at drug stores.

chaz - where do you get RMC products? I could have 2 for the price of the one above.

Keep the ideas coming, guys. I'm a rookie here trying to avoid pitfalls!

Last edited by Idaho Spud; November 10, 2012 at 12:53 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old November 10, 2012, 12:09 AM   #10
unknwn

This is the RMC/Rydon revolver nipple wrench mentioned by chaz12:

http://www.rmcoxyoke.com/inc/sdetail...rench/6549/236

I will vouch that this is good stuff, I got mine from the Buffalo Arms Co. along with good pricing on some other great stuff.
The wrench is hardened which makes it fairly impervious to the often experienced nipple wrench problems that the non-hardened wrenches suffer from.
Old November 10, 2012, 12:33 AM   #11
Idaho Spud

Thanks, unknwn, I just got off RMC's site. Got an order in the basket. I also want to order the stainless steel nipples. Is this a good idea or am I looking at basically stock equipment equivalent?

Wife brought home a Traditions flask and measure. Looks like good stuff, if not actually "traditional". Don't really care about that.

I'm going to make up my own lube with Crisco and beeswax, and I'll be just about ready to pop my first caps, which the wife's bringing home tomorrow. She works at a gun store. Pretty cool, huh?

Last edited by Idaho Spud; November 10, 2012 at 12:35 AM. Reason: typo