The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 9, 2014, 07:26 PM   #1
mrappe

Getting Bore Butter out of caps

last Summer I was shooting at my SASS club and with the 95 F heat the tube of Bore Butter leaked out enough thin lube to contaminate a whole new in-the-plastic tin of Rem #10 caps that I use for my 58 Rem pistols. Since i have not been able to find any more of these caps for some time i am getting desperate and I was wondering if maybe I could try to de-contaminate them enough to use them by using CONTROLLED heat and some absorbent material like paper towel. I down think i would need a lot of heat since at the temperature that the problem happened in the first place they were in my shooting cart in about 98 degree weather but not in direct sun and the stuff is like melted butter at that temp. That is why i have to mix in bees wax in the Summer for the mix to cover the lead in the chambers. I hate to throw them out.
Any Ideas?
Old March 9, 2014, 07:42 PM   #2
Pahoo

No heat!! just wipe them out as best you can.

If the melted Bore-butter has gotten under the protective foil or film and soaked the priming agent, you are probably out of luck. I think I would first try to pick it out and as needed take some alcohol on a trimmed Q-tip and lightly wipe them out. Then take a percentage of these and carefully try them out by striking them with a hammer on metal plate. Believe me when I say, that it doesn't take much to penetrate or remove the protective film in the cup. . ......

Be Safe !!!
Old March 9, 2014, 08:37 PM   #3
Hawg

If it has soaked into the priming compound there's nothing you can do. You can't unsoak them. They will either work or they won't.
Old March 10, 2014, 08:32 AM   #4
Rifleman1776

Yep. They are trash.
Go shopping. And, while at it, buy waxed wads to replace using grease over the ball. Cleaner and handier.
Old March 10, 2014, 05:06 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

+1 to Hawg and Rifleman . . . I fear you are "out of luck" in regards to saving them. And please . . . don't use "controlled heat". If by chance any are good . . . well, you may have some powerful "popcorn". Write it off to "experience" and a "learning lesson" . . keep your caps away from such things that can leak in to them to damage them. And trust me . . you aren't the first to have something like this happen and you won't be the last.

I can remember as a kid, having loads prepared for a NSSA shoot (in those days we used cardboard tubes - didn't have the plastic ones - not that it makes any difference). I made the mistake of putting my Minie Balls (lubed with Crisco) base down in the tubes. Even though my shooting box was in the shade it was a warm summer day . . . need I say more? Even though BP was only a $1.75 / pound . . . a dollar came a lot harder back then . . . especially to a kid. If I remember correctly . . . that incident was pointed out to me by several as a "good learning experience".

And as far as those who try to see if they are good by putting the on a steel sheet and using a hammer . . . you have a revolver - make sure it's unloaded and use that to test them to see if they'll go off. Don't do something stupid and foolish . . . . just saying . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 10, 2014, 05:15 PM   #6
FrontierGander

Have you tried firing one to see if it still works?! You may have just invented the first water proof percussion caps in history!
Old March 11, 2014, 09:43 AM   #7
Sure Shot Mc Gee

In my trying to stay on point concerning this topic of conversation:
I've thought about this predicament over & over and I see very little light at the end of the tunnel concerning your unwelcomed situation OP. Again knowing how frugal B/P shooters can be including myself. Without any further discussion from me on this topic. My one and only unbiased suggestion would be._ "Buy a new tin of em sir."
Old March 11, 2014, 09:52 AM   #8
Pahoo

Some could be salvaged ???

Quote:
Don't do something stupid and foolish . . . . just saying . . .
Good advice, for the novice but hardly one as experienced as most SASS shooters. If anyone is not comfortable with this test, then perhaps they should stick to collecting. .... just saying ....

I routinely contaminate and deactivate primers and it doesn't take much to do so. Some are better protected than others so there might be a good chance that some of yours, could be salvaged which is what the OP is trying to accomplished. .....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; March 11, 2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old March 11, 2014, 12:44 PM   #9
Hellgate

I haul all my spare ammo around in a cooler on my gun cart. My actual shooting box is not insulated but the extra caps are. Also I use automotive grease over the balls and its consistency changes very little regardless of the temperature.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old March 14, 2014, 04:41 AM   #10
radom

Rule 101 from 1972 dont use bore butter.
Old March 14, 2014, 06:55 AM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
Rule 101 from 1972 dont use bore butter.
Bore Butter can be good in its place but its place isn't field use, especially during the summer.
Old March 14, 2014, 09:55 AM   #12
Pahoo

It's worse enemy is hot weather !!!

Quote:
Bore Butter can be good in its place
So true and if I didn't have it, I'd have to find it's equal. .....

Be Safe !!!