The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 26, 2011, 09:45 PM   #1
dyl

.40 S&W Gold Saber jacket separation?

I just saw a video by someone on youtube named tnoutdoors9 that showed:

180 grain Gold Saber .40S&W fired into test media (denim in front of jugs of wet newspaper) would have a separation between the jacket and the lead. The jacket would be left somewhere about halfway down the "wound" channel and the lead core - now naked, seemed to not expand very much - or being unsupported it expanded too much and folded over.

I didn't like that video because that's my carry ammo!

Have any of you switched away because you heard of this phenomenon?

Truth be told, I bought the Gold Sabers because they were cheaper than Gold dots. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be cheap
Old July 26, 2011, 10:27 PM   #2
Mr.Blue

I have some Golden Saber and like their energy and accuracy. That said, they are known to have jacket separation issues. The bonded version, which I have never seen, supposedly stays in tact. The negative thing about jacket separation is reduced penetration. The Golden Sabers penetrate well even with separation, as the separation occurs late. I wouldn't worry about it. The Golden Saber is an older design, but very energetic and effective.
Old July 27, 2011, 03:24 AM   #3
voyager4520

They make Bonded Golden Sabers.

Not .40, but a comparison between regular Golden Sabers and Bonded:
Ammo Test 9mm Luger - 147gr Golden Saber: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7mKe4_2V1w
Ammo Test 9mm Luger - 147gr Golden Saber Bonded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSPoLRV3e1Y

Last edited by voyager4520; July 27, 2011 at 03:30 AM.
Old July 27, 2011, 05:29 AM   #4
C0untZer0

Shooting a jug of red cool aid?

"Splatter test" ???

Seriously ?
Old July 27, 2011, 01:47 PM   #5
dyl

Thanks for the replies. Voyager - thanks for the links. I looked at those videos and like CountZero I've never seen a Kool-aid test or Splatter test done before (looks Quentin Tarantino inspired - also would be difficult to quantify) the water expansion showed jacket separation of the non-bonded Gold Saber - but the bonded held together.

when I bought them the gun store genius held a box of Gold Sabers in one hand for $26 and Gold Dots in the other for $36. I asked what the difference was and he said "oh, you're just paying for the name" The choice was obvious then wasn't it

But it was a big step up from winchester white box