The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 11, 2002, 02:30 PM   #1
stevie_d_64

Rifle Competition questions and comments...

I came to the Firling line forum this last weekend to ask a question, but I got side tracked by another post that talk about something I was interested in before...I investigated that and am considering getting involved in that type of match...

What I still want to know is if I were to show up one day and wish to compete with an AR type carbine rifle, would I really stand a chance for it to be worthwhile for me to pursue that type of competition...

Now I am by no means a novice shooter...I do understand that I may be at some disadvantage with the obvious length of barrel, but I am one that believes that size does not matter (at least in this particular type of competition), but I am thinking that really is the only disadvantage I can see with this particular rifle...

I think technique, disipline and consistancy prove to make the playing field equitable...I feel you can put an Olympic tuned rifle in a novice or moderate ranked shooter, and they could probably give you fits, but put a top ranked competitor and a stock firearm in their hands and I think they could still compete...

I am not saying I can shoot the gnat off a dogs nose at 200 meters and not bother the dog...I am just trying to get a feel for where best my efforts to get into some sort of competition would be best placed...

My Dad shot long range pistol here in Texas back in the 80's and early 90's and made quite an impression on the shooting community, I guess I am just getting that "bug", and am looking for some direction...
Old November 11, 2002, 02:31 PM   #2
stevie_d_64

I meant "Firing Line"

dadgum spellcheck!
Old November 11, 2002, 02:46 PM   #3
Correia

Steve, it would help if we knew what kind of rifle competition you are thinking of.

Some of us shoot 3 gun, or IPSC style rifle matches. Which is usually lots of targets at short to moderate distances, with some long range shots thrown in.

Others here shoot Hi-Power matches from 600-1000 yards.

All depends on what game you are looking at.

And Welcome To TFL.
Old November 11, 2002, 03:03 PM   #4
Steve Smith

Correia took the words out of my mouth. What kind of competition?

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old November 11, 2002, 04:53 PM   #5
stevie_d_64

We'all...

I happen to be the proud papa of a Bushmaster A3, bull barrel (heavy, chrome lined) at 14.5"...I don't really count the AK muzzle brake but anything but a device to keep the rise down to a minimum when firing this rifle...Its the "Shorty" version shown on the Bushmaster webpage...

I can see where the tacticle application would be it best arena to compete in...But me, I am into challenges...And if I can somehow gauge the prospect of competing in the longer range, slow fire matches...Certainly I can already see that anything beyond 300 yards is going to be too silly to comprehend...I dunno, maybe I should stick to CQ combat style matches...

Sorry that I didn't clarify the hardware issue...

If I recall correctly, my Dad shot targets out to some distance with single fire Thompson Contenders cambered for a variety of calibers...His barrels were not very different than what I have on this carbine...Of course the targets were steel pigs, chickens, rams and turkeys...Not group sizes and serious accuracy constraints...You knock them down, and thats a score...

Still would be fun to see what I could do...

What do they shoot (targets?) and what ranges are we talking about at those high-powered matches???

I have a good idea on the tactical carbine stuff they are doing down in San Antonio...Thats going to be fun to do...But I am looking to see how good I could get on a longer range match...

Maybe I could just get another "upper" in a competition design...It'll be like having two guns in one...

Thoughts? Chuckles? Downright flammenwefers??? Don't worry, I have a little thicker skin than most...

Better to ask and get input from others, than not, and lose interest in competing...
Old November 11, 2002, 04:58 PM   #6
Steve Smith

Use the search function and look for Highpower and cross refrence with my name. You'll get plenty of "how it works" there. The brake is against the rules, and for good reason. It would be fine in an "action" environment where there's only one guy on the line and extreme accuracy isn't a concern. On the firing line in HP, you will be everyone's PITA. If you take off your brake, you'll be running against ATF rules. HP will requre another upper or another rifle entirely (clip sloted bolt gun with iron sights). A Garand is a good starter rifle for HP.

You say you would not be opposed to getting another upper...that is good. Read the Highpower threads and get back to me.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old November 11, 2002, 06:27 PM   #7
Correia

Steve can give you some excellent advice about hi-power.

Now the way your gun is set up currently, you can compete in 3 gun quite well.

3 gun matches are IPSC or IDPA style matches. Only there will be stages for pistol, rifle, and shotgun.

The maximum range for rifle targets in these matches are entirely dependant upon what the limitations of the local range facilities are. At our local club matches we run rifle targets out to about 200 yards tops. Some clubs run out to 300 if their ranges allow it. There are a couple that run out to 500 +. (WC3gun last year, though this year we only went out to 300).

3 gun is a fast paced and very fun game.

Either way I would suggest that you search your local venues and see what kind of matches are available to you.

As for flaming, we don't really tolerate that kind of thing on TFL to much.
Old November 11, 2002, 09:49 PM   #8
stevie_d_64

Thanks for the insight...

Both of you folks show a real sense of understanding when it comes to legitimate questions...I have been to a few forums where unfortunately you almost have to be waiting for that knock on the door, or wait to hear helicopters flying overhead...

I guess the bottom line is that I guess I'll have to risk a divorce and buy another rifle...sigh...

There are a lot of ranges and competitions within minutes of my home here, they are usually held at the range my Dad used to shoot at...IDPA (they only get together one Saturday a month, usually the first one...) There are a few more, but distance and unfamiliarity with the regulars can only be dealt with by just showing up...I'm sure that'll work itself out...

That tactical carbine looks like the winner so far...San Antonio is a drive, but I think it'll work out as well...

This high powered stuff is something I'll need to study a bit more...I'll keep my eyes peeled, and soak up some more knowledge before diving into that...

Thanks for the info...I'll be lurking about...If you feel there is something I would be interested in, gimme a holler, I'll be around here a bit more often...

Thanks again...
Old November 11, 2002, 10:35 PM   #9
Steve Smith

I hope you were able to read some or all of my Highpower posts. I'm no expert (ok, I am classified as an Expert but you knwo what I mean) so I try my best to not post any voodoo about the sport...just the general information. Besides, the botom line of Highpower is general anyway...the absolute adherance of the basics produce the best results. Grip, stance, breathing, sight alignment, trigger control, follow through. Absolute Purity produces Perfect results. Can you tell I'm hooked?

If you have questions, feel free to ask. We Highpower shooters are the pit bulls of recruiting new shooters. I just want you to know all the details before you jump in. Read the other recent competition thread here in this forum...you'll see what you can easily have into the sport if it gets hold of you.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old November 14, 2002, 01:09 AM   #10
Sylvilagus Aquaticus

Don't sweat it, Stevie...I sold a terrific NM grade M1A to partially finance a divorce. Still looking for another one...M1A, that is...at the time, it was a shame to sell such a great set-up rifle but the end justified the means.

Maybe I'll start looking for an AR10....the new wife *likes* to shoot.

Regards,
Rabbit.

"If we could just get everyone to close their eyes and visualize world
peace for an hour, imagine how serene and quiet it would be until
the looting started..."
Old November 21, 2002, 09:57 PM   #11
Whitefeather M-25

If you can hit the berm, then you are good enough to compete. You can find a lot of comps on the Internet for your local area. Go to one for kicks, and have fun. You wont know how good you are until you try. I enjoy shoting comps because you never know what the end result is going to be. I have seen some top teams finish near last place at times, and vise versa.

I compete in order to learn, and have fun. The trophy is just icing on the cake