The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2001, 09:36 AM   #1
MLC

6mm remington

I am buying a rockchucker in a week or so and had a couple questions for those that reload 6mm. I'd like to load the hornady a max 105 grainers and wondered if anyone had experience with these. I thought they'd be best for long range target and whitetail purposes. Also what loads and bullets have produced the best results in terms of accuracy?
Old October 26, 2001, 08:31 PM   #2
kurt IA.

Some of the early 6mm Rems. had a 1 in 12 twist. They were best with light bullets. Rem later changed to a 1 in 10, or 1 in 9 twist that would handle up to 100 grain bullets. Most 105 grain and up need a 1 in 8 twist to work right. Just something to keep in mind. About all you can do is try them and see. They may work in the 9 or 10 twist, but not even close in a 12 twist.
Old October 26, 2001, 09:55 PM   #3
Count Glockula

IMR 4831 43.00gr
CCI 200
2.814 O.A.L
Speer 105
No crimp

This is a load that I have found that works really well for me out of my 6mm Remington. It will shoot sub MOA. I took a Whitetail at 250yd with this load last year. My guess is that the hornady a-max will shoot just as good if not better than the speer bullet. IMHO,IMR 4831 is the best powder for the heavy bullets in 6mm. Good luck!
Old October 27, 2001, 06:09 PM   #4
Cougar

From what I can remember...

When they changed the name of the cartridge from .244 Rem to 6mm Rem is when they changed the rifling twist rate. Just FYI if this helps anyone at all...
Old October 28, 2001, 03:00 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yep, rifling twist was changed when the name of the cartridge was changed.

Anything labeled .244 will have the early twist, anything marked 6mm will have the later twist and be able to handle the heavier bullets.

The 6mm is a great cartridge.

Had Remington handled the introduction a little differently, as in putting the correct twist on it when it was first released, I think it would have had a VERY good chance of becoming the standard American 6mm instead of the .243 Winchester.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.