The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 1, 2015, 04:13 AM   #1
simonrichter

CC and water sports

It might appear a funny question to you, but since I come from a country where one can't carry firearms, I'm curious: As far as I get it from this forum and others, many of you folks advocate that IF you carry, it (logically) makes most sense "24/7" because you would not know if and when a certain situation may occur.

But what do you do when you go say swimming or do other water sport activities?

I know the question may seem a little quaint, yet nowadays it does have kind of a realistic background in the light of the recent act of terrorism on a Tunisian touristic beach...
Old July 1, 2015, 11:50 AM   #2
dyl

I bet you've found that it varies from person to person. The person who first introduced me to shooting now carries less frequently even when traveling - unsure why. Changes in mindset and priorities I suppose.

When I go swimming (indoor) I don't carry in the pool, I leave it in the locker.
Last time I went to the beach I carried but did not go swimming. I did a little wading but the gun (and my phone) only got a little wet through my shorts.

I don't carry when I know I will be submerged but I try to carry as far as I can secure the firearm. Swimwear is even more prohibitive to carrying than street clothes and it seems like a limited market for any manufacturer to get into.
Old July 1, 2015, 12:56 PM   #3
ChuckS

One way is to use a small dry box, such as a Pelican.

It keeps it dry and sand free. I have also carried in a IWB holster when canoeing or kayaking, but I am confident enough in my (and my partners) abilities to not overturn.

I have also used a fanny pack (bum bag).

Water doesn't bother me as much as the sand does. I try and avoid getting sand on/in my pistol.
Old July 1, 2015, 06:21 PM   #4
AK103K

I dont swim (intentionally) with mine, but its not that big a deal if they should get a dunk.

My water sports these days are canoe's and kayak's, and I have gone in a few times wearing my gun(s), its just the nature of the beast. I do wear a lanyard while in a boat, as the rivers tend to take anything you have on you, if its not attached to you.
Old July 1, 2015, 06:48 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

One way to waterproof a handgun is to use a simple "zip lock" bag. They are watertight when sealed and one can, if necessary, operate the gun through the plastic. It might interfere with the slide or hammer movement, but with many guns will allow at least one shot.

Jim
Old July 1, 2015, 07:45 PM   #6
mxsailor803

I usually carry OWB while on the river fishing. SC and FL gamewardens have never given me a hard since most of my loads were shotshells (snakes). They would ask if I had a permit and I do but never had to pull it out and show it. I did get submerged last trip and I sprayed the dickens out of with WD40 until I could get home and do a proper tear down with CLP.
Old July 1, 2015, 08:09 PM   #7
Nathan

Honestly, most handguns can be fully submerged. I would have no trouble submerging my Kahr 380, cleaning and reoiling later.

Most modern guns can handle it fine.

In a swimming pool, I don't want the printing.
Old July 2, 2015, 01:57 AM   #8
Glockstar .40

I avoided a water balloon fight on Sunday because I was cc'n and had a white shirt on
Old July 2, 2015, 04:24 PM   #9
simonrichter

...but I reckon salt water is quite another story...? when I see what it does to metal on boats or beach constructions, it sure isn't what you want your gun to come in touch with...?
Old July 2, 2015, 04:43 PM   #10
Dragline45

There are certain times where I forgo carrying so I can enjoy myself, swimming is one of them. Life is too short to not enjoy myself here and there just so I can carry 24/7. If terrorists decide to shoot up the beach I am on, so be it, I take far more risk driving to the beach than I do choosing not to carry at the beach.
Old July 2, 2015, 04:58 PM   #11
skizzums

I carry when I swim, I just put it in my little towel bag when I actually go in the water. I never really thought about. I wouldn't ever actually go "swimming" with a gun, gotta draw a line somewhere...like the bathtub and shower.

well.......maybe not
Old July 2, 2015, 05:00 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

James Bond epics aside, I have never heard of anyone being attacked while swimming by anything a handgun would stop. Maybe a .500 S&W would discourage a great white but I am pretty sure anything smaller would just make him mad.

Jim
Old July 2, 2015, 05:02 PM   #13
AK103K

Quote:
...but I reckon salt water is quite another story...? when I see what it does to metal on boats or beach constructions, it sure isn't what you want your gun to come in touch with...?
That depends on a couple of things. Type of the guns metal and/or finish, your personal gun hygiene, and how long after you deal with it.

If your out for the day, its really not a big deal, if you take care of it when you get home. If youre out for an extended period of time, without the luxuries of home, fresh, or as fresh as you can find water to flush with, and a small can of WD40 will usually get you through.
Old July 2, 2015, 05:04 PM   #14
colbad

I switch to a spear gun.
Old July 2, 2015, 05:33 PM   #15
simonrichter

Another thought: Would a gun actually work when there is water in the barrel?
Old July 2, 2015, 05:35 PM   #16
peggysue

Front carry when I wear my speedo.
Old July 2, 2015, 05:42 PM   #17
AK103K

Quote:
Another thought: Would a gun actually work when there is water in the barrel?
https://youtu.be/502KryEguA0

I would have thought you knew the answer to that. Nudge, nudge, wink wink.
Old July 2, 2015, 07:04 PM   #18
Arizona Fusilier

When I am around the water, a stainless revolver is in order, my S&W 686, 649, or 629.

But actually in the water? Naaaw, I'm paranoid, but not that paranoid!
Old July 2, 2015, 07:15 PM   #19
Ricklin

Blackpowder

THose of us who play with blackpowder are not afraid to get guns good and wet.

Standard cleanup for blackpowder weapons involves copious quantities of good old soap and water.

The key is near boiling water for the final rinse, the heat will drive the moisture from the metal very quickly. Follow with oil and you are golden.
Old July 3, 2015, 05:02 AM   #20
peggysue

Old July 3, 2015, 05:16 AM   #21
simonrichter

addendum: Actually I did not suppose one would actually take a gun into the water because it might be needed THERE.
The problem I was referring to is that when you take a gun to the beach, you can hardly just leave it under your blanket while in the water...
Old August 13, 2015, 03:12 PM   #22
simonrichter

somewhere in the last third of this article, the issue of water sports and guns is addressed...
Old August 13, 2015, 07:20 PM   #23
tipoc

Don't go in the water. There are things in there that you can't see and that will eat you. Avoid it.

tipoc
Old August 13, 2015, 11:14 PM   #24
PA32Mark

I carry pretty much 24/7, but would not actually go swimming with my gun. But for other water sports, like boating, kayaking, white water rafting, etc, I found some useful items here: www.thewaterproofstore.com
Old August 14, 2015, 12:52 AM   #25
CZ9Joe

I switch to a knife for the beach and the main thing I'm concerned about are the sharks. Jaws might kill me but I'm going to stab him in the eyes a few times before I bleed out so he remembers me!