The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2001, 10:26 PM   #1
AndABeer

The biggest pain in working with my 550B is that the primer chute does not open up to catch the spent primer from station 1. This means occasionally a primer gets stuck in the mechanism below for installing the new primer. Am I perhaps missing a spring that is supposed to push the chute open when the spent primer is ejected? I keep meaning to call Dillon during work hours but my mind ain't what it used to be.
Old January 27, 2001, 10:40 PM   #2
Keith J

Two things:

There is no spring to open the chute as gravity does that. It might be dirty. With the ram up, it should block the opening under the primer hole. With the ram down, it opens when it contacts the priming mechanism.

Also, a late primer ejection or sticking spent primer on the decapping rod can cause this. Be sure the priming control arm isn't bent and the primer shuttle spring is in place.

Finally, what kind of dies are you using? New Dillon pistol dies have a spring-loaded decap pin that supposedly throws the primer off the pin. This might be a little too vigorous and could force the chute open.

[Edited by Keith J on 01-27-2001 at 11:08 PM]
Old January 28, 2001, 12:36 AM   #3
JerryM

I had the identical problem, and found that the cotter pin that holds it together was rubbing against the frame. When I relieved that it worked OK. I bet that is the reason for your problem. Check it out and let us know.
Jerry
Old January 28, 2001, 12:41 AM   #4
Bottom Gun

JerryM is right.

Check the cotter pin and also make sure the two halves of the chute are moving freely and not rubbing against each other. You may have to bend them slightly if they are.
Old January 28, 2001, 01:08 AM   #5
Bud Helms

Just last weekend I had to reposition the cotter pin for this very same problem. I'll bet JerryM's correct.
Old January 28, 2001, 07:32 PM   #6
beemerb

Had to rebend my system to make it work smoothly.Might have to take it off completly to work on it but after you get it all straight and not binding it will work well.
Old January 29, 2001, 08:31 AM   #7
AndABeer

The halves move freely they just don't always open up. I'll try monkeying with the pin.
Old January 30, 2001, 10:36 AM   #8
Rottweiler

I actually have the exact opposite of that problem... My spent primer chute stays open more often than not. The only real problem is with using Dillon pistol dies. They tend to fling spent primers everywhere. The solution- I folded up a piece of cardboard to fit inside the primer dump so it extends up about an inch above the top of the dump. The chute still stays open sometimes the primers still get "flung" but they all land in the primer dump(where they are supposed to) Several friends who also have 550Bs have adopted my modification and all like it as well.
Old January 30, 2001, 06:43 PM   #9
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Replace the cotter pin with a length of paperclip.

Bill