The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 29, 2013, 10:32 PM   #1
44smith

S&W M 610 10 mm moon clips?

Can anyone tell me if a S&W model 610 stainless, 10 mm have to use moon clips. I have one that I got that has 2 half moon clips in a bag. Do I have to use those when loading the ammo?
Thanks
Old January 30, 2013, 02:11 AM   #2
Redhawk5.5+P+

I think my brothers 310 Bodyguard doesn't need moons for 10mm, but it needs moons for 40cals. I'm thinking thinking the 610 might be the same.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:37 AM   #3
Viper225

I have both a 610 and a 310NG. I have never tried to fire either without moon clips.
Being rimless they will not eject without the moon clips.
I have fired way more 40 S&W through both, than I have 10mm. You can count on 40 S&W not head spacing on the front of the case.

My advice. Leave the Half moon clips in the bag in the S&W box. Make an order with TK and get several Full Moon clips, and enjoy your 610 using moon clips as it was meant to be used.
http://www.moonclips.com/

NOTE: The 610 moon clips come in 2 versions, the Round Hole Center, and the Hex Center. No big deal unless you are using a Moon Clip Tool to load the clips. They use different Arbors. The Deluxe Moon Clip Tool extra Arbors are $5 each.
http://www.mooncliptool.com/

I have had my 610 for 20 years. They are a great revolver.
I have shot lots of 40 S&W through mine over the years.

For carry ammo you will need to do some research. Most 10mm factory loads have really been watered down over the years. The 175 Winchester Silver Tips are probably the easiest to get pretty much full power ammunition for carry. After that you will need to go to a specialty ammunition company for Full Power ammunition, like Buffalo Bore.

Bob
Old January 30, 2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

IIRC the 10mm headspaces on the mouth... no clips needed, but as mentioned, no way to eject them...

I ordered the poly RIMZ clips for mine which work great, & don't require any special tools...

my has been chambered for 10mm magnum, so those headspace on the case mouth, but bot 40 & regular 10mm now need clips
Old January 30, 2013, 08:03 AM   #5
carguychris

Quote:
I think my brothers 310 Bodyguard doesn't need moons for 10mm, but it needs moons for 40cals. I'm thinking thinking the 610 might be the same.
You are correct that the clips are required to fire the .40's.
Quote:
IIRC the 10mm headspaces on the mouth... no clips needed, but as mentioned, no way to eject them...
There's always the eraser end of the yellow #2 pencil.
Old January 30, 2013, 11:47 AM   #6
44smith

Thanks everone for all the help. I think the round clips would be a lot better and easier & faster reloading the revolver.
I'll look over all the sites and recommendations you gave.
I think this will be a nice gun.
I didn't know it would shoot 40 S&W's too. That good.
Appreciate it all.
Old January 30, 2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Action_Can_Do

You can pull them out by hand. I have.
Old January 30, 2013, 08:17 PM   #8
tomrkba

Use the moon clip tool from mooncliptool.com. It will save your fingers and make loading and unloading easy. I use them at gun courses and they make a big difference. You can buy 100 moon clips from Ranch Products (you have to call them).