The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2008, 11:54 PM   #1
yosemitesamaz

problem resizing help please

i am trying to resize .223 federal case that have been once fired useing a single stage press, sb rcbs dies that are brand new. the necks of the cases keep getting a dent and some only get a dimple. i have tried adjusting the dies used to differnt types of lube and still keep getting the damaged cases. will they sill be safe to fire in a ar? what should i do to stop the damage on the cases?
Old January 1, 2009, 12:15 AM   #2
Antihero47

Clean the die, the most common cause of small dents or dimples is too much lube being trapped inside the die, when resizing the lube concentrates into a small area and then creates a dimple.
Old January 1, 2009, 12:38 AM   #3
hardhit

It sounds like you’re over lubing your cases the die will compress excusive amounts of lube and cores dents often on the shoulder but some times on the body of the case too if excusive or dripping with lube. Try drizzling a small amount all over a lube pad use your thumb to disperse the lube into the pad lightly roll a case on the pad, then using your fingers to go over the case spreading the lube over the entire case it should have a very light greasy feel to it,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0016.jpg (240.1 KB, 30 views)
Old January 1, 2009, 12:40 AM   #4
FredT

The neck require very little lube, the shoulder just about none and the base of the case a fair amount. Too much on the shoulder as mentioned before will cause the classic oil dent. Make sure the tiny vent hole at the shoulder of the die is open and able to vent.
Old January 1, 2009, 03:10 AM   #5
yosemitesamaz

it worked thanks i was using the lee lube when i had that problem i switched to synthetic oil on a paper towel rolling each case and no more dimmples and alot easier to resize.but now i got another problem the decaping pin broke off. can i buy a replacement pin at a local shop or do i have to order it through rcbs? and thank you all once again for the info it made the differnce.. so should i just chuck the case's or should they be fine to still load
Old January 1, 2009, 03:43 AM   #6
hardhit

Bummer about the decap pin you should be able to pick up a another one up at your local gun shop no problem, Your cases will be fine to load up and fire. the dents will be gone once fired..
Old January 1, 2009, 08:05 AM   #7
F. Guffey

yosemitesamaz, case lube, do not lube the shoulder or neck of a case, none is required. Lube the inside of the neck and body of the case only.

F. Guffey
Old January 1, 2009, 08:42 AM   #8
F. Guffey

I read your last post, dents caused by lube will pop out, when forming cases as 7X57 Mauser from 30/06 cases, what looks like dents will become 'folds' and create a crease, the crease will not blow out.

I went to the firing range and requested a bench that was isolated from other shooters, the next person to show up takes the next bench, I ask him if he understood what I was doing and he said he was told, the first round I pulled out and chambered was ugly, the person next to me said something like "tell me you aren't going to shoot that" so I said 'OK, I am not going to shoot that" then I shoot 'it', I removed the cartridge and showed him the creases in the case, then told him "when someone tells you dents in a case will pop out when fire, you can tell them 'no they don't!" then I started on the 30 Gibbs, my neighbor had never seen a case with 2 shoulders.

F. Guffey
Old January 1, 2009, 11:03 AM   #9
yosemitesamaz

thanks again to all this is way i enjoy tfl!!
Old January 1, 2009, 01:23 PM   #10
Shoney

F. Guffey
I do not understand your answers, to pitch all brass with minor lube dents in the shoulder???????

In the past 5 decades, I have the following observations:

Dent caused by over lube in the should area are not a concern, and will iron out when fired.

Dents about half-way from the mouth back to the middle of the case are not a concern, and will iron out when fired.

Of critical concern is the thicker web taper from the mid-point back to the head. Large dents or scratches in that back half of the case could allow gas to find an escape route back along the ouside of the case to the bolt face. That type of event can lead to a catastrophic failure of the action.

Dents & scratches in front half = Loadem & Shootem.

Dents & scratches in back half = Tossem! Into the recycle bin. Of course!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 1, 2009, 05:44 PM   #11
hardhit

I fail to see how a dent can become a fold this is imposable!! I have been reloading 27 plus years and have never seen this, ether around bench rest or field rifle comp in which I shoot regularly once you gauge the amount of lube needed you Won’t have a prob. One easy way to avoid dents is, don’t let it happen pretty simple.