The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 18, 2002, 02:24 AM   #1
house

dillion SL900

I am useing a mec9000G and i am thinking of geting this dillion. a buddy of mine is selling one for 550. he only loaded a flat of shells. But he is now buying ponesswarrner. what do you think?
Old October 20, 2002, 07:12 PM   #2
Ffej backwards

SL900

House:

I'm new to reloading shotshells and have never used a MEC or anyother brand except the SL900. Got a great deal on a used one several months ago. The only thing I don't like is the sometimes 10 grain varience in shot charge weight. I called Dillon about that and they re-assured me that's not a problem. How accurate are the bushings on the MEC? One things for certain, this machine can kick out the ammo! Really too much for me, but for the price I couldn't pass it up! Oh ya, $550 is a good deal, I bought mine for $525.

HTH,
Jeff
Old October 21, 2002, 09:12 AM   #3
stellarpod

I've never owned or used one, but I spoke with one Dillon dealer who told me that, to be honest, he'd opt for the MUCH cheaper MEC over the Dillon.

He apparently felt like there was just too much Rube Goldberg going's-on with the 900. Said that there were too many areas where things could jam and slow the progress.

As I stated previously, I've got no first-hand experience. But, I thought this was significant as it came from a guy who makes a portion of his living selling Dillon equipment. And, for the record, he does NOT sell MEC. For what it's worth, I'm a fanatic about the 650 which has served me in grand style.