The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 7, 2002, 10:28 PM   #1
johnwill

Phoenix .25

OK, it's research time. My Phoenix .25 arrived, and I'm pleased to say that it's in at least the condition claimed. Now the trick is to find out something about the gun. I have yet to find any references to it, except the cryptic one in the 22th Ed of the Blue Book.

PHOENIX ARMS CO.

Previous importer located in Lowell, MA.

PHOENIX - .25ACP cal., Belgian semi-auto previously manufactured by Rober et DeKerkhove located in Liege, Belgium.

This trademark is rarely encountered - values would start at $350 and go up according to original condition.

I'm looking for suggestions as to where to find out additional info on the gun, anybody want to venture a guess?

Old February 7, 2002, 11:12 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Johnwill,

Oh, THAT Phoenix! I was thinking of the cheap little .25 POS made in CA.

The only decent reference I can find is Matthews, p. 259. Under "Robar" he mentions that H. Rosier designed both the Jieffeco and the Melior pistols. Both were made by Robar and DeKerkhove, which was owned by Jannsen Fils et Cie., which seems to be the origin of the Jieffeco name. New Melior models were introduced in Jan. 1921, and the name Jieffeco was dropped. The 6.35 version of the Jieffeco was imported into the USA as the Phoenix. He cites Phoenix serial number 108, and says that other than the Phoenix Lowell, Mass U.S.A. Patent and the word "Phoenix" on the grips, the gun has no markings, which seems consistent with yours.

If you want to e-mail me with a fax number, I will send you what I have on the whole business, but it is too long to retype here.

Jim
Old February 8, 2002, 12:03 AM   #3
johnwill

Interesting, it kinda looks a bit like the Melior, now I know why. I'd love to have any information you have, number is on it's way. This one is S# 575, I wonder how many of them there are. This one is in nice shape, and if I have believe the price from the Blue Book, I got a steal on this one.