The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2013, 01:20 PM   #1
Brutus

Fighting the desperation

Just came back from the local Cabelas. Went looking for powder, primers and bullets. Managed to get a 1,000 #500 CCI small pistol primers ($39.99), 250 Berrys 124gr. 9mm rn. ($27.99). Powders are still on the lean side, they had a good supply of H110, W296 and HS-6 in pistol powder. Was really hoping for some Universal, pheasant season starts at the end of the month and I was hoping to reload some shotgun loads, As a result it looks like I'm going to have to buy some shotgun shells for hunting because I need to keep my supply of Universal for .44 & .45 target loads. Had a can of HS-6 in my shopping cart when I came to my senses. Already bought a can of WSF out of desperation when it was the only thing on the shelf, do I really want to buy another powder I've never used? I'm already faced with the prospect of working up loads for the WSF. While I've read good things about HS-6 it has the same burn rate as WSF so it's probably the same damn powder only in a Hodgden can. Didn't really need the Berrys as I have 400 Rainiers on hand but considering they were the only 9mm bullets available I bought them.
I was very surprised that there were no Remington or Winchester bulk 9mm's available. They didn't even have the more costly Hornady or Sierra stuff available.
Old September 8, 2013, 02:25 PM   #2
fenriswulf

Having the same problem. I bought a lb of hs 6 for my shotgun reloads. I'm trying it out soon but I'm not finding many reload recipes for it that fit my hulls.

Found plenty of tightwad. Is it any good for pistols?
Old September 8, 2013, 03:09 PM   #3
NWPilgrim

Fighting the desperation

If you are willing to buy several pounds of powder then some places online are starting to get more powder and primers in. Just in the last two weeks I have bought W231, Vit 3N37, N110, CCI small pistol and rifle primers, Missouri Hard Cast bullets, Nosler .224" 64 gr bonded SP, Sierra .308" 110 gr RN, and Sierra .224" 65 gr SP. i have seen Universal pop up occasionally. Try Wideners, Midway, Powder Valley, Natchez, Cabelas.
Old September 8, 2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Brutus

Problem is, besides the Haz Mat fee, no ones home to sign for it during the day except my Springer Spaniel and he probably wouldn't get off the couch unless some smelly critter was attached to the box.
I know UPS won't leave it on my doorstep and I wouldn't want them to.
Have thought about having it sent to a local UPS store, but I don't know if they will do that. Has anyone ever gone that route?
Old September 8, 2013, 04:36 PM   #5
WWWJD

More often than not, I have everything shipped to my work; business address, so they won't attempt a delivery on Saturday. Make sure my name is first on the address line, so everyone in receiving knows it's personal. Nobody minds, even with the hazmat labels.

If that's not an option, you could have it shipped to a friend who is able to receive. I hate having anything shipped to my house. People just ain't as honest as they used to be, especially with branded packaging like "amazon" or "Midway USA". Hey! Let's just put the word "valuables" on everything! Drives me crazy.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old September 8, 2013, 05:08 PM   #6
totaldla

HS-6 is an excellent shotgun powder and it works well in the non-magnum handgun applications. I would be happy to have an 8lb jug of it - if it were all I could get.
Old September 9, 2013, 09:49 AM   #7
Brutus

Only problem is I've used Universal and Unique in my shotguns for years.
Local trap ranges limit you to target loads with #8 shot, for which I use Red dot.
I shoot #5's & #6's for Pheasant. Get enough disappointed looks from my springer when I miss as it is.
Buy the way having stuff sent to my work is strictly verboten.
Old September 9, 2013, 10:30 AM   #8
JimDandy

Additionally UPS has a delivery notification service that I BELIEVE includes the option to have it held at the UPS office type place for in person pickup. Look into UPS "My Choice"
Old September 9, 2013, 10:31 AM   #9
JimDandy

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shi...ld_pickup.html Is their 411 on the thing.
Old September 9, 2013, 10:46 AM   #10
Brutus

Thanks Jimdandy.
Now if I can find a source with enough components to make the Haz Mat worthwhile I may give it a try.
Old September 9, 2013, 10:54 AM   #11
Hartblood

UPS My Choice has a fee last time I looked. After first delivery attempt you can have them hold it at the terminal for free. Only problem with where I live is the pick up time 3pm - 6pm, Monday - Friday.
Old September 9, 2013, 11:50 AM   #12
precision_shooter

I've had to fight the desperation for months. The hazmat fees are too high for powder and primers when all most places will let you order is 1,000 primers or 2 lbs of powder per transaction per day.

I stopped by a local shop on Friday and to my surprise they had 4 cases of Varget that just arrived. Only had a 2lb limit per person, so I had a friend meet me there. Got 2 for me and had him buy 2, he kept 1. So I got 3 lbs of a very hard to find powder but paid a little more than i would have liked...

As with anything, how bad do you want it will determine how much you are willing to pay for it.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old September 9, 2013, 01:14 PM   #13
Brutus

Still worth the effort.
Berrys $27.99 250 count = .112 per round.
primer $39.99 1000 count = .04 per round
WSF powder $24.99 7000 gr. = .018 per round (5.1gr per load)
Total = .17 per round or $8.51 for a box of 50.

Of course I didn't include my labor but that's time spent on my hobby and I get a better finished product tailored to my specific firearm.
Sure beats paying $.24 when lucky enough to be at Wally world at the right time or $.40 a round for range ammo that my pistols can't shoot worth a damn.
Old September 9, 2013, 01:26 PM   #14
Airman Basic

Get into bullet casting and save more. Also you get to buy more stuff!
Old September 9, 2013, 01:46 PM   #15
Brutus

Its bad enough having to scrounge for what I need now. Can't imagine trying to panhandle wheel weights from Just tires. Also I think the strong impulse to go down range to retrieve my spent bullets might be to great.
Old September 9, 2013, 01:48 PM   #16
JimDandy

And you can't use them at indoor ranges which are my only choices.
Old September 9, 2013, 02:15 PM   #17
Brutus

You can't use cast bullets in an indoor range? Never heard of such a thing, doesn't seem to be a problem around here. Is that some kind of state law?
Old September 10, 2013, 02:23 PM   #18
Real Gun

Quote:
Now if I can find a source with enough components to make the Haz Mat worthwhile I may give it a try.
I have lately settled for 4 pounds of powder or 5000 primers on a HAZMAT fee, with shipping at anything reasonable. The 4 pounders are not common lately, and 8 pounders are a bit much for my consumption rate or projections, so I started ordering (4) one pounders, most recently 4 pounds of SR4756 from 3rd Generation. That's a powder I have been using a lot on .357 Magnum practice ammo and "Lite" SD for my smaller gun (SP101).
Old September 10, 2013, 02:26 PM   #19
Real Gun

Quote:
You can't use cast bullets in an indoor range? Never heard of such a thing, doesn't seem to be a problem around here. Is that some kind of state law?
Maybe. In any case, it is a range rule at Allen Arms in Greenville, SC. I know they periodically haul away and replace the bullet heavy dirt at the back of the (indoor) lanes, so it may be problems with disposal rules for that dirt.
Old September 10, 2013, 02:33 PM   #20
Real Gun

Quote:
Its bad enough having to scrounge for what I need now. Can't imagine trying to panhandle wheel weights from Just tires. Also I think the strong impulse to go down range to retrieve my spent bullets might be to great.
I decided to prime the pump, so to speak, by ordering ingots from Missouri Bullet. They ship priority mail, so that was the shipment the post office said set a record for "if it fits it ships". It was 68 pounds with a 70 pound limit.

Missouri Bullet sells Lyman #2 alloy. If you use wheel weights, you have to do your own metallurgy and processing to get the hardness and purity you want.

Now I will have time to work on more cost effective sources and what I need for my own formula, mainly antimony, I believe.
Old September 10, 2013, 02:52 PM   #21
JimDandy

Quote:
I imagine it's a combination of state and federal laws and regulations, combined with ownership policy. My range says jacketed bullets only due to the lead issues. So I suppose if you could plate your bullets as well... But then we're getting into enough time to make a batch of bullets to make a batch of rounds...
Old September 10, 2013, 10:44 PM   #22
jag2

Just a guess on my part but I would bet more indoor ranges ban lead than not. If they don't, they should have a very good ventilation system (read expensive) not only to comply with regulations but for your well being. You don't want to be breathing that stuff in, it is really really bad. If I were you I would ask about what system they have. A couple of ventilation fans just won't hack it.
Old September 12, 2013, 12:46 AM   #23
Nick_C_S

HS-6 is the same powder as W540. Although, I don't think 540 is still marketed - at least, I haven't seen it any time recently. (But I have seen cans of Hodgdon HP38 & W231 on sale at the same place, and they actually have the same lot#)

Back to HS-6: Good stuff, basically. But. . . you gotta work the recipes to get it to burn clean.

Example: 357 Mag; 125g JHP - at 9.5g it chronos at 1074 fps 3" bbl, and 1136 fps 4" bbl. But is dirty as hell. Tapping the spent brass on a surface results is this partially burned "sand like" substance coming out of them - and lots of it.

At 10.6g - 1237 fps 3", & 1273 fps 4" - and is quite a bit cleaner.

At 11.2g - 1271 fps 3", & 1315 fps 4" - and is super clean.

I'm sold on HS-6. But you do have to load the recipes up a bit (quite a bit, actually) to get it to burn clean. But when you get it right, it burns very clean.

And as you can see by the numbers, it can be an excellent performing magnum powder.