The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 27, 2009, 05:12 PM   #1
jager

Questions on older Weaver Scopes

I have a chance too get a 4X Rifle Scope , appears too new in box for $40 , is this a good value? Are older Weaver scopes in good shape a good value? I'm new too rimfire rifles in general, up untill reciently anything that didn't have .30 in front of it I didn't pay much attention too. There appears too be alot of these old scopes avalible these days .... I'm not opposed too spending hundreds on a new scope , but if you can get the job done with a nice old tool , why not ?? Any opinions ??
Old February 27, 2009, 05:21 PM   #2
Tuzo

I own four old Weaver that are marked El Paso TX. One variable 9X sits on my late 60's Winchester 70 in .243 and looks and sights very well. The other scopes sit on various center and rim fire rifles. They have all been fine reliable performers considering their age and initial quality of workmanship. They are indeed a bargain on eBay and worth buying. I have heard that the El Paso scopes are no longer being overhauled by one of the original workers.
Old February 28, 2009, 02:08 PM   #3
Scorch

Weaver scopes hold a lot of nostalgia for us old-timers. Weaver made several different scopes, among them were the K series fixed-power scopes without adjustable W/E (1940s-1950s), K series fixed-power scopes with adjustable W/E (1960s and later), V series variable-power scopes (rotating eyepiece- 1960s to early 1970s) V-II series variable-power scopes (fixed eyepiece with a zoom ring- late 1970s on) in both regular and Widefield (TV) configuration, T series target scopes (with and without target turrets), and the unfortunate Marksman series. The K, V and T series came in Micro-Trac (close-tolerance threads on W/E screws and small carbide pads on the end of the erector tube springs) or regular configuration. Marksman scopes had poor lenses and plastic lens cradles and were prone to fail at the worst possible moment.

If you are looking for a period-correct scope for an older rifle, by all means buy the Weaver, but otherwise save your money, there are much better scopes available nowadays.
Old February 28, 2009, 02:18 PM   #4
sholling

The rimfire part perked up my ears. Keep in mind that a centerfire Weaver will be set to be parallax free at 100yds, while a Weaver rimfire scope or shotgun scope will be set to 50yds. That makes a big difference at rimfire ranges. If you're buying a scope for a rimfire to hunt with or plink I suggest the discontinued Weaver 4x32 shotgun scope that Natches is blowing out for $80. It's a very good scope. If you're looking to do precision target shooting with a rimfire then you'll need an adjustable objective and that will cost you considerably more.