The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 7, 2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Lurch37

Opinions needed on Sightron, Leupold or any other Scope

I'm in the market for a scope for my HK91. Although I feel fairly confident in my pursuit of rifles and handguns, I have no clue about the quality and or craftmanship of scopes.

Right now I'm looking at a Sightron SIII in 6x24x50. It has the mil-dot recticle and a 30mm tube. My factory HK claw mount has 30mm rings so I must have a 30mm scope tube. I do not wish to use inserts for the use of a 1 inch scope at this time.

I've also looked at a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T in 6.5x20x50 with the mil-dot recticle and 30mm tube. Between the two there is a significant price difference. Is the Leupold worth the extra cash? Is there another brand I should be looking at? I want the best value for the dollar of course, and if it takes $1250 to get a great scope then so be it. But if I can get the same thing for $750, I can buy more ammo.

Thanks!
Old February 7, 2009, 12:20 PM   #2
fisherman66

I can't speak for either particular model, but Sightron makes quality optics that are on par with Leupold as far as glass quality is concerned. Leupold often has a better eyebox, but again..I have not used either of those particular scopes. Whether or not that's a big consideration for you, I don't know. I'd want to look though both before making the decision.
Old February 14, 2009, 02:32 AM   #3
ronl

I'd just get a Super Sniper from SWFA for $300 and spend the rest on ammo. I wouldn't even consider putting an expensive scope on a rifle unless it shot less than 1MOA.
Old February 25, 2009, 11:37 AM   #4
James R. Burke

fisherman is right if you could look thru them that would be your best bet. I always had good luck with the Leupold scopes for the price. If price is not a big concern Zeiss makes a real nice scope one of the best.
Old February 28, 2009, 04:48 AM   #5
HiBC

This is one of those topics that gets folks stirred up.

Funny,I sure got a lot of service out of old steel tube Weaver K-4's.Was a time,that was the standard and Redfields were fancy.
Seems like I have bought a number of $200 to $300 non Leupolds,and after a time,they end up on the take-off shelf.Then I buy the Leupold.
I'm not saying that is right for you,but it works for me.

I do not have experience with Sightron.There is something about a replacement warrantee,and in the store they look pretty good.
Old February 28, 2009, 10:36 AM   #6
sholling

I would take this question to the gurus on OpticsTalk. That's SWFA's forum and there are some optics fanatics that hang there.
Old February 28, 2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Lurch37

Thank you Mr. Sholling. I have posted the question there and will see if I can get some ideas and opinions.